Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake pulse - new parts, no change

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Rain
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake pulse - new parts, no change

Started using the front brakes a lot more, noticed pulsing bad like warped rotors. Looked closely at the rotors and they were trashed. Unevenly worn, deep grooves, etc. I did NOT take a dial indicator to them as they looked bad enough to replace.

Replaced the rotors, pads and cleaned the front brake calipers. Rode the bike to work today and you can't tell I did a damn thing. No change at all.

The dealer had put the new Dunlop 402 front tire on backward a long time ago so took it to them while off and they reversed it and said it balanced out fine. Has 5 ounces of weight total on it, 2.5 oz. per side. It might have about 3000 miles left on it. I did this before swapping the rotors out so I know they didn't bend my new rotors.

I know I need to lift it and check runout on the new rotors but have a feeling that they're good. Bad tire (out of round) or bad wheel (rotor to wheel surface)?

Anyone been through this? Curious what it was if not the rotors. I'll lift it tonight to see what I can see.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

You running a spoked wheel or cast? I think I would have replaced the tire being it was that low. This is very strange, shouldnt have these issues after replacing rotors. Have you checked your wheel bearings or the tire may be the culprit. Does it only react when applying the brakes or can you feel any vibes when off the brakes?

Old 08-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by bagman1
You running a spoked wheel or cast? I think I would have replaced the tire being it was that low. This is very strange, shouldnt have these issues after replacing rotors. Have you checked your wheel bearings or the tire may be the culprit. Does it only react when applying the brakes or can you feel any vibes when off the brakes?
It's a stock cast wheel. The flanges that the rotors sit on were nice and clean too btw. I agree that it's strange, especially as nasty as the old rotors looked. As mentioned, it's like I didn't do any work to it at all.

The wheel bearings were good and snug when I had it apart. If you hit the front brakes hard going 40 or so you can feel a very slight vibration. At low speed such as coming to a stop it lurches bad.

I wasn't going to give the dealership the privilege of taking my money on a new tire. Reversing it was no charge because they mounted it wrong to begin with. They made enough mistakes that I won't go back.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM
CrashTest 007
Advanced

Sounds dumb I know but have the rear tire checked as well.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by CrashTest 007
That's a thought. Had an issue like that before? Guess it could whacked and only noticable when it's pushing against the front brake?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:38 AM
CrashTest 007
Advanced

Yep, It happened to me before and the rear wheel was warped. I thought it was the front the whole time but that is just where I was getting the feedback.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Rain
Tourer

That's a thought. Had an issue like that before? Guess it could whacked and only noticable when it's pushing against the front brake?

Old 08-11-2014, 11:47 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the bearings. I had exactly the same issue this weekend and Harley replaced the rotors and the front bearings and the bike now rides like new

Old 08-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Rain
Tourer

Yep, It happened to me before and the rear wheel was warped. I thought it was the front the whole time but that is just where I was getting the feedback.
Makes sense, I'll check it too.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Rain
Tourer

Originally Posted by c50plus
Check the bearings. I had exactly the same issue this weekend and Harley replaced the rotors and the front bearings and the bike now rides like new
The bearings were snug (meaning no slop) and not bound either.

Quick Reply: Front brake pulse - new parts, no change