Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questionon Lowering rear on 2013 Ultra Classic,

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:13 AM
ClassicRider99
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questionon Lowering rear on 2013 Ultra Classic,

Hi, I need to lower rear, I have re-done seat which helped, but still can't get flat footed! I have spent(wasted) money on the road six lowering kit (wrecked my shock boots) and angle way too much. These tore the rubber and actually cut into bottom of shock. (garbage product) don't buy. So I ordered the LA choppers kit and just got it but on trying it out it will do same to shocks! More money gone! What other options are there, besides replacing shocks with the one inch lower ones from HD? and if its the shocks i have to change, is there any chance of finding some in here? Thanks. Desperate midget!!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

On my 2010, the dealership installed the burley rear shackles. Sucked they had to take the protective boots off of the shocks. Would have preferred the lower profile air-shocks from harley. Progressive has a new set of shocks that looks very appealing, but I am going to live with the rear shackles.
I am much happier with it after my indy installed the front lowering kit from H-D.
Handling improved and it was more comfortable for me as a short-legged Texan. My seat goes to Mean City this month for the super slim treatment.
Shackles or shocks, I think is about all your options are: I believe the harley street glide has the reduced length shocks, so if you ran across some of those as a take off, they would work. The reduced height touring shocks from H-D are about $300, but at least they are simple enough not to need someone else to install them.
I know there are some higher dollar offerings - progressive has a $700 pair of shocks that is supposed to give you that inch of lowering without sacrificing anything. Seems like there is an air-kit that one can lower or raise from the handlebars. Pricey I would imagine.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicRider99
Hi, I need to lower rear, I have re-done seat which helped, but still can't get flat footed! I have spent(wasted) money on the road six lowering kit (wrecked my shock boots) and angle way too much. These tore the rubber and actually cut into bottom of shock. (garbage product) don't buy. So I ordered the LA choppers kit and just got it but on trying it out it will do same to shocks! More money gone! What other options are there, besides replacing shocks with the one inch lower ones from HD? and if its the shocks i have to change, is there any chance of finding some in here? Thanks. Desperate midget!!
Think about how your suspension geometry works for a second.
If your going to keep your factory 13" shocks, the only way to lower the rear is to change the angle that the shock mounts.
As you have found, that isn't the ideal situation.

Your other option is to change out your current shocks for shorter ones.
The Street Glide uses 12" shocks, and will bolt right on your bike.

There are much better aftermarket shocks to look at too.
The bottom line, if you want the bike lower your going to end up with less suspension travel and may or may not like the ride you end up with.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:05 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12" street glide shocks, HD low profile hand adjustable, or the Progressive 944's are probably your best bet. Or you can send your 13" shocks to Bitchin Baggers to be shortened.