Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM
GaryHD1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide

Hello, this is only my 2nd post on here. I was wanting to get back in the Harley riding scene. I used to own a Roadking, so I was wanting another touring bike. I'm looking at a 2014-2015 Street Glide or Ultra. I like the look of the Street Glides, but if the wife rides with me I would like the tour pack with the extra speakers in the back and the added storage space in the trunk. I havent been to a dealer yet, so I'm asking this on here first. If i get the Ultra is the tour pack detachable since it has the speakers hooked up in there. I would like to be able to pull it off when shes not riding with me, giving it the Street Glide look. Then when we go on a longer trip I would slap it back on. Is this possible?

Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryHD1
Hello, this is only my 2nd post on here. I was wanting to get back in the Harley riding scene. I used to own a Roadking, so I was wanting another touring bike. I'm looking at a 2014-2015 Street Glide or Ultra. I like the look of the Street Glides, but if the wife rides with me I would like the tour pack with the extra speakers in the back and the added storage space in the trunk. I havent been to a dealer yet, so I'm asking this on here first. If i get the Ultra is the tour pack detachable since it has the speakers hooked up in there. I would like to be able to pull it off when shes not riding with me, giving it the Street Glide look. Then when we go on a longer trip I would slap it back on. Is this possible?
Ultra isn't set-up with detachable Tour-Pak initially, but can easily be set up that way, or take a Street Glide and set it up more as a Ultra or somewhere in between. I think it's less expense to start with the Ultra first then a Street Glide and build it up more like the Ultra. A couple of years ago, the Ultra came with a lot more chrome, such as the saddlebag rails and front fender rails, but now has more of a cleaner look like the Street Glide. Color choices might come into play too as to which one you want to build from...

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 09-01-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

If you ride two up more times then not I would say go for the Ultra, and yes you can get the quick disconnect for the speakers along with the detachable tourpac. If you like to ride aggressive and ride more solo, I would go after the street glide and add the tour pac. JMO.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 PM
HarleyMan58
Advanced

Just rode the Ultra today, great ride!!! As previously stated you can get the quick release for the tour pack/speakers...Whatever you decide on, enjoy...

Old 09-01-2014, 05:53 PM
dvn4life
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI...

If you go the Ultra route and get the quick detach kit for the '14 and up models, HD lists the kit (Part Number 53000291) at $569.95.

You can get it at Kutter for $472.00.

Pat

Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

I looked at what it would cost to add a tour pack, backrest,etc etc etc with detach kit to a street glide... It was cheaper to get the Ultra and get the kit.

don't forget pegs vs foot boards for the passenger, the seats are different, etc etc

Old 09-01-2014, 07:18 PM
wwglide
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't doubt that you get a 50/50 split on which way to go.

I was faced with the same dilemma earlier this year. I went with the Ultra and was going to add the quick detach kit. I found that I use the tour pak so much (riding gear, work stuff, Home Depot runs, etc...) that I decided not to spend the $500 on the detach kit and use it for other accessories. At this point, even if I had the detach kit, I probably would rarely remove it.

Coming from a bike without any storage (Wide Glide,) I'm amazed on how fast I got spoiled with the Ultra.

Just my $0.02 worth.....

Old 09-01-2014, 07:38 PM
toad6301
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an Ultra thinking the same thing back in 2009,
never looked back at making it detachable, however,
I did buy a Legends tour pack slider and do change seats
to my solo and ride with the pack slid up to be my
backrest in the winter as the seat and backrest on the
tour pack are HEATED and I do enjoy that!!!!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 AM
GaryHD1
Stage IV

Thanks everybody for the input. I'm leaning toward the Ultra or Ultra Limited. I'm just thinking its better to have that storage space and not need it ,than need it and not have it

Old 09-02-2014, 01:46 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryHD1
Thanks everybody for the input. I'm leaning toward the Ultra or Ultra Limited. I'm just thinking its better to have that storage space and not need it ,than need it and not have it
My buddy is selling his 2010 Limited. Red/Black. Very Nice. Just a few hours north of you. It has the lowering kit as well if you are vertically challenged. FWIW

Quick Reply: Thinking about a Ultra Classic or Street Glide