Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Lighting (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lighting (long)

I've been doing some experimentation with lighting and thought I would share my experience.

First off, why Harley did not put LEDs in the Front Turns / Rear Tail, Brake, Turn is beyond me. As much as one of these things cost, plus the fact that everything else is LED makes this ridiculous...

I've been looking at doing some type of LED replacement on both ends with Custom Dynamics Dynamic Rings going on the front. (still have to order)

For the rear, all I can find guaranteed not to cause Can Bus issues is the Harley LED tail light kit. Don't like the look of them and surely don't like the cost at $300+.

At my local O'Rielly's parts store they have Pilot brand Automotive LED replacements, Can Bus compatible for $20 a pair. I went with the 3157 replacement in a white with 6k color temperature. Installed them and they work great. Nothing like a BAL mind you but they are about 20% brighter on the low side and about 50% brighter with brake and turn. Not bad for a $20 and 10 minute investment.

They do cause one issue, the dash turn indicator blinks faster than normal. I hear this a common problem with LEDs on one end and standard on the other. I go back to O'Reilly's and buy a set of 1157 Whites for the front until I order my CDs, but no dice on these. The socket is oriented relatively deep in the housing and the bulb will not physically go in far enough to lock in the socket. Guess I'll wait and order CDs after the Thunder Beach Fall Rally next week or get them at the rally if CD has their display in PCB.

On to the headlight and spots. I have spent the last almost 2 hours out on very dark, country roads around my house trying to get these things adjusted to where I like them and don't think I will ever get there. In my opinion they are much better than stock Halogen lighting like I had on the UC but nowhere as good as my UC with high output PIAA head and spot lamps. I see why guys over in the touring forum are griping about over driving these lights, it is very easy to do.

Low beam is good but high is more like a spot light with minimal beam spread on the light. Also it's a compromise between Low and High. If I get Low where I want it, then High is too high for my likes. If there was a way to make Low stay on while High is on, like my company car does (LED lights) then it would be great. I thought these were the same as the Harley Daymaker lights but I'm not so sure. I have a buddy with the Daymakers in a '11 UC and they seem much different in their lighting group and spread.

The spots provide a great deal of light but they have their issues. A. They are a PITA to adjust (special socket and such) and B. There is very little adjustment to be had.

I don't do much riding at night but sometimes it is required. I will be looking into some sort of auxiliary driving lights for this thing.

Hope this helps someone!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:46 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I too am having a heard time getting the head light adjusted just right. Went two turns up, low beam was ok but high was real high, went down one turn and it's like the stock setting, low was to low and high was OK...I do a lot of night riding ( work night shift)

Maybe Moto Lights? I have HID lights on my Mustangs and really like them...I'll keep after it to get them right

Old 09-27-2014, 11:45 AM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was told to let the LED turn signals flash fast (told 4 minutes) and the system will adjusts itself.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Found my front and rear Custom Dynamics LEDs during PCB. Now this thing can really be seen.

Went ahead and changed out the tail lights as they were offering TG owners $50 off the pair.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM
fmgsr
Road Master
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TrapshooterBob
Was told to let the LED turn signals flash fast (told 4 minutes) and the system will adjusts itself.
And, if that don't fix it, try your hazard lights for a few minutes, that did it for me.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fmgsr
And, if that don't fix it, try your hazard lights for a few minutes, that did it for me.

That's what CD told me to do and it worked.