Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 04:45 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default LED Lights

I have been looking at the HD website, and their promotion of the LED lights they have.
They are expensive ! I am considering them for the two small lights on my Heritage. As you know these only operate on low beam, which is most of the time when ridding, unless turned off.

Do any of you have experience with the LED lights, and how do you like them?

Also, if I understand correctly, they are "plug and play", thus not requiring what HID lights do.

I also like the idea of LED rear turn signal lights.

Thanks for your comments.

Balloo

Old 03-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Much cheaper solutions out there...consider TruckLight for your head & spots: http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27270c-3set.html

Also, for your signals, take a look at Custom Dynamics: http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...ts_catalog.htm

Between these two sources, you can add illumination to your scoot for increased safety and riding pleasure.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Originally Posted by balloo
I have been looking at the HD website, and their promotion of the LED lights they have.
They are expensive ! I am considering them for the two small lights on my Heritage. As you know these only operate on low beam, which is most of the time when ridding, unless turned off.

Do any of you have experience with the LED lights, and how do you like them?

Also, if I understand correctly, they are "plug and play", thus not requiring what HID lights do.

I also like the idea of LED rear turn signal lights.

Thanks for your comments.

Balloo
Those "two small lights" are commonly referred to as auxiliary lamps or passing lamps. If you want them to operate on low AND high beams, install the kit below.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...rness-kit#tabs

As far as how others like their LED lights, it is a very popular topic on this forum. Some of the links below should help.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...61.V0Zl1-0QTWE

If you purchase the HD LED rear turn signals, they will operate as run/brake/turn lights so you won't need the HD kit to make them running lights.

If you are considering converting the auxiliary lamps and the turn signals to LED, it would make sense to complete the conversion and do the headlamp and brake light as well. After all, it's just money.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:36 PM
threadstopper
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default leds

i have the leds installed and love them they increase the amount of light at least threefold you can see and be seen a lot better adding a higher level of safety to your riding experience. easy install and yes its plug and play. remember there is a lot more that goes into a light than just a bright bulb, reflector design and wire size are equally important to ensure proper luminanceonce again the old adage "you get what you pay for" was never more relevant for the rear end i have installed a brightass light that makes me more visable to approaching traffic. once again plug and play install check them out.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
uncalltheway
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine for almost 3 yrs now & would not have another bike without them. I adjusted my passing lamps up a little & made even more difference. Love em....

Old 03-22-2014, 10:07 PM
uncalltheway
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had mine for almost 3 yrs now & would not have another bike without them. I adjusted my passing lamps up a little & made even more difference. Love em.... 2012 Heritage Big Blue Pearl

Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Bonaro
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LED rocks...way brighter and never burn out.
Buy what you need from eBay, they offer a LED version of any bulb made. I just bought 4 yellow wedge base bulbs for $4. Bought 20 more white ones for $12 and converted all of my landscape/pathway lights. Back on the Harley I have this odd Rick Doss side light/license thing and I actually found a replacement LED conversion. The last of my incandescents are all gone now.

You will need to install a load stabilizer to run the LED's

Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonaro
LED rocks...way brighter and never burn out.
Buy what you need from eBay, they offer a LED version of any bulb made. I just bought 4 yellow wedge base bulbs for $4. Bought 20 more white ones for $12 and converted all of my landscape/pathway lights. Back on the Harley I have this odd Rick Doss side light/license thing and I actually found a replacement LED conversion. The last of my incandescents are all gone now.

You will need to install a load stabilizer to run the LED's
Please help me understand the "load stabilizer" - - the HD web site is noted "plug & play", which I assume means that nothing else is necessary. I don't want to buy something, and then find out more is needed.

Thanks,
Balloo

Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both the led tail lamps and turn signals from custom dynamics in addition to day maker headlamp and passing lamps from Harley Davidson. The all work great!

Old 03-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonaro
... You will need to install a load stabilizer to run the LED's
A load stabilizer is only necessary if the CAN bus is present. The OP did not specify what year his bike is. IIRC, the CAN bus was introduced in the 2011 model year. Others, please correct me if the CAN bus was introduced in a different model year.

Originally Posted by balloo
Please help me understand the "load stabilizer"...
Without going into detail about the CAN bus, suffice it to say it is sensitive to voltage ("load") changes caused by modifications to any electrical component/system, including the bikes lighting. Load stabilizers correct these voltage differences so the CAN bus system does not suspect a malfunction.

Quick Reply: LED Lights