Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Anyone here ride two abreast with a 2 wheeler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I never ride side by side. Most of my riding is in deer country, and I don't want anybody near me when deer are around. And even if you trust your buddy, I don't trust people in the opposing lane. Twice last year I had to ride the edge when cars pulled into my lane to pass. I always move right when passing opposing cars. I don't want to be there if someone wanders over the line.

I learned to ride with someone who has been riding for 40 years. He told me, in no uncertain terms, don't ever pull up next to me, unless we are pulling up to a light, and I wave you in. Thought it was good advice then, and now.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Side-by-side with brothers. Anyone else needs to back up and respect our own space.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:16 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
As Screwball indicated. There is a big difference between some lanes. Maybe a little safer on the larger width lanes compared to the 8' ones.
Everyone keeps bringing up the skill level of their friends - that's BS.
I consider myself as a great rider, took classes, rode for over 55 years. There is no way I would trust myself riding next to a friend or wife - I'm not taking a chance, ever so slight, on killing them or them me. It's not worth it. I can live with being a nano second behind them.
I don't see the stigma of riding staggard. Why is it so embarrassing to you non stagger riders???

Please explaine the thrill you get riding side by side? So that I can understand it. Because I don't now - maybe you can open my eyes.

I agree on the skill level, there are a whole lot of folks who think they are better than they are. Its not a matter of how many years a person has ridden, its a matter of who much skills training they have had, and practiced. A person could have 50 years of making the same mistakes and never even know it. I'd lay odds half the folks who think they and their ridding buddies are good riders would be shocked at the results, if they were to actually take a skills test.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

I think my life and my friends life is more important to me then being able to ride side by side with them. No matter how great a skill level you have - there's going to be someone somewhere that's going to test you. You just may find out you're not as great as you thought you were.
I read somewhere one of the reasons people rode side by side is so they can talk to each other. WTF????