Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The Freewheeler is tough!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default The Freewheeler is tough!!!

I started riding in March 1956 and until today had never had an accident. Riding 30K+ per year has brought me many left turners, light/sign runners and pull outs. I had always be able to slow turn and other wise miss them. I had an attitude that they were always aiming at me and I reacted accordingly.

Today on a beautiful sunny mid thirty's day with dry roads I set out to do a big loop of about 200 miles. Twenty miles into the ride I was going through a small town on a state highway rte. 82 that makes a 90 degree turn at a T intersection to the north with the south bound lane required to stop if they are making a left turn. I was just through the turn and about staight when an ederly lady approached and turned into me broadside. I had no action to make that would have evaded. i was at 15 mph and no escape route. I saw her a few feet before impact. She was leaned forward, head tipped down and I could see her eyelids only because she was looking down at something. Text msg on a phone perhaps.

The bike took the hit dead center. Then she kept pushing for a while trying to figure out what was going on!

Of course I was wearing my Safety Yellow coat and Safety Orange pants. Which makes my wife feel good. But I have always said that it only works when someone LOOKS at you. Distracted drivers couldn't even see a light house in the dark!

The police came took minimal info. Drivers license and insurance card. No pics of the skid marks or anything. They did not give her a ticket. They let her go first and made me wait. I pointed out the marks and the reflector debris that indicated the point of impact ( I had 22 years as a LEO investigating accidents.)

But for the first time my camera was not in the bike. I took it out the day before to post a picture Photobucket and forgot to put it back.

Harley's aere tough machines. I could barely see the 4" crack in the left fender and scrapes along the length of it. Of course they were somewhat hidden by the layer of salt spray and road scum from riding in the snow.

I accelerated it hard and it tracked well and the same when I braked hard. So I continued the ride but shortened it to 159 miles. Stopped at the dealer. They pulled it right in put it on the hoist and checked alignment, rims and what not. Gave me an estimate of just over $1,300. Not bad for a solid T bone hit. It is open ended though in case when everything is removed something may show up.

Got home got my wife(close to dinner time) and went and took photo's at the scene. Then ate went to PD to get the info the officer said he couldn't produce because his printer quit. He gave the lady hers.

Got home and notified Geico and mailed the required forms to Illinois D.O.T. That just leaves contacting her insurance carrier. And if needed Hupy and Abraham Go Capt. Kirk!

Checked her info out and she is 74 years old. Shouldn't be on the road. OH! Wait I'm 74. Yikes.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, I hate distracted drivers. I've had a couple old ladies try and take me out on a couple occasions. The closest I came was a couple years ago while riding 2 wheels. I ended up in someone's front yard, bike unscathed and me pissed off.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Sucks to have a new scooter and somebody runs you over because of they can't drive. AT least you were not hurt and the Freewheeler can be replaced. Make sure the Harley shop checks for a bent frame and bent swingarm. If she hit you and pushed you, thats a lot of torque on that swingarm and frame.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Fearless (old nickname)
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Thank God your not hurt

Ride safe you never know good luck fearless

Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW, glad to hear you are all right!

Old 01-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

And you stayed on the bike? One thing I love about riding a Trike, if you hit something you have more of chance not to be flung off. Glad you're ok,the bike can easily be replaced.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Holy S&*T Batman!!!! Glad you're OK..yes, make sure all is OK with your baby..
I have no issues with riders wearing all the bright colors but stupid people will pull into the path of a train, we don't stand a chance out there...be safe all.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Glad you were on the Freewheeler, and good to hear you're ok, and the FW only needs minor work.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 AM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are okay. Happy she didn't get her pedals mixed up

Old 01-29-2015, 08:11 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad you and your Freewheeler are alright.

Quick Reply: The Freewheeler is tough!!!