Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Compensator issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Compensator issues?

At idle it will occassionally skip, sounds almost like a spark knock but from the primary. At cruising speed it is very noisy. If you are coasting there is not any noise but under load, it's noisy. If under load, you shut the throttle of it clunks like it does when you shift into first after cranking the bike. It's loud. When cruising if you pull the clutch in, there is no noise except the tires.

I am thinking compensator is shot. Any ideas? It's under the 2 year warranty so it should be taken care of by dealer.

Thanks

Steve

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 AM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Lot of talk on HTT about compensator issues and the self adjusting primary chain feature. There is too much info out there for me to even try to simplify. Step 1 for me will be going to a Baker manual adjust tensioner. While the primary is apart the countershaft sprocket alignment will be checked and properly shimed. In the future I may upgrade to the new Baker countershaft assy but I am waiting to see reviews.

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

On my 2013 I had the compensator replaced under warranty at 15,000 miles. They had a new version of the oil deflector out at that time. I have heard they have another even newer version now. Take it to the dealer and have them check out compensator, there have been issues for years with the design of how they get the oil to the right places. Also if you have the dealership change primary, be sure they are filling with 38 oz fluid to ensure it gets to where it needs to go. So many just try to throw 32 oz (1 qrt) and call it good.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:44 PM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NHBAGGER
Lot of talk on HTT about compensator issues and the self adjusting primary chain feature. There is too much info out there for me to even try to simplify. Step 1 for me will be going to a Baker manual adjust tensioner. While the primary is apart the countershaft sprocket alignment will be checked and properly shimed. In the future I may upgrade to the new Baker countershaft assy but I am waiting to see reviews.

FWIW the Baker manual chain adjuster is good but I see one drawback. There is no access port on the new primary covers so that you can see the chain to adjust it. The only way that I can see to adjust the chain is to remove the primary cover.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:27 PM
NHBAGGER
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

You are correct. Hoping once a year will be enough.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:20 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NHBAGGER
You are correct. Hoping once a year will be enough.

Maybe

Old 07-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Redcrow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fusionfool
On my 2013 I had the compensator replaced under warranty at 15,000 miles. They had a new version of the oil deflector out at that time. I have heard they have another even newer version now. Take it to the dealer and have them check out compensator, there have been issues for years with the design of how they get the oil to the right places. Also if you have the dealership change primary, be sure they are filling with 38 oz fluid to ensure it gets to where it needs to go. So many just try to throw 32 oz (1 qrt) and call it good.
Bought two courts for primary at Harley dealer the other day. Parts guy ask if I was doing two bikes? Nope, just one. He said if you bring it to our shop it only gets one so don't waste oil! WTH😳

Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Redcrow
Bought two courts for primary at Harley dealer the other day. Parts guy ask if I was doing two bikes? Nope, just one. He said if you bring it to our shop it only gets one so don't waste oil! WTH��
Dealers really don't care, or know. The main reason for the compensators fail is it was not kicking enough oil up to the correct area. The corrections they have made just since 2013 shows that HD is concerned enough to design a new oil deflector to kick more oil into this area.
Just try the correct amount of oil, listen to the difference in chatter. After I had the first compensator replacement under warranty I started putting recommended amount, and was much better. Now hopefully the compensator lasts longer as well. I will continue to put the amount by the book.