Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Do you carry coolant with you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:51 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyDawg
Just curious if the the cooling system has a pump and if so what happens if you run the pump dry with no coolant?
Yes it has a pump, I'm pretty sure if you run it dry it'll kill the pump. IMO, if I was forced to run one dry I would disconnect the pump,

Old 08-22-2015, 10:37 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I do not carry any coolant. Perhaps I should. But have 20K+ miles on it with no issues with the cooling system to date.

A month or so ago, we saw a couple on the side of the road with their 2 wheeled waterhead partially torn down. Stopped to see if they needed any help. They were "ok", their buddy was halfway thru the 300 mile round trip to the closest HD Dealer that had a water pump.

They had hit a rock in the road, it had spit out of the front tire for a direct hit on the water pump, breaking the housing and making it inoperable.

Good news was they did not go down from the rock, bad news was the water pump "guard" is plastic and the water pump housing is plastic, and did not hold up to the rock. Good news was he had tools and a buddy that was bringing him back a water pump and some coolant.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-12-2018, 10:35 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the service interval for coolant?

How many miles before a change/flush is required?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2018, 01:32 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,628 Likes on 5,180 Posts

On my second Liquid cooled head 103 and M8 never had to carry any coolant on trips. never had to add any.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:38 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Mine is twin cooled, and, mostly air cooled, so no, I don't carry coolant, I do carry a bottle of water, for me, not the bike, if I was really worried, I put it in the cooling system and tell H-D to fix it at the next Dealer I ran close by.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:46 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
What is the service interval for coolant?

How many miles before a change/flush is required?

Thanks
I think the book says to change out every two years .

Old 08-15-2018, 04:50 PM
PGTRIKE
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Empty radiator bottle

Last Friday (8-10-18) Wife & I went for a weekend ride to Jackson Hole, Wy. with our local HOG group. I checked all fluid levels the day before we left and found oil was half quart low and the radiator bottle was empty. Ran down to HD here in Boise to get oil and coolant. I talked to Service Rep. about the empty bottle, he talked to one of the mechanics who said fill the bottle up it probably has an air bubble and should correct itself. I did want they said but carried extra coolant just in case.

Arrived in Idaho Falls late Friday afternoon, checked all fluids, the radiator bottle was empty, refilled it and began checking all over for a leak. No leaks - where is the fluid going. All this time the Trike is running good but seems to be hotter around the pipes (day temps were pushing 100 deg). Saturday we rode to Jackson Hole then the Teton National Forrest, nice country to ride in. In the afternoon, I get a "check engine" light, air temp 100 deg, I check fluid levels - almost a half quart low on oil, radiator bottle still full from yesterday. Stopped in Jackson Hole to get some oil, topped oil off.

I and another rider decided to take a shorter route back to Idaho Falls. This route took us over the mountain with lots of twistys and steep grades. About three quarters up the trike started to loose power then the "over heated" light came on, I found a quick place to pull over. I quickly checked the radiator bottle and watched it drain completely down so I refilled it a third time. After letting the trike cool down a bit, I started up and all of the idiot lights had gone out (check engine, over heated) so we continued. The trike ran fine, air temp dropped from 100 deg to 71 at the summit and continued to run good. I constantly checked the oil and water all the way back to Boise, all good and where they are supposed to be.

Dropped it off at the dealer on Tuesday for the 10,000 mile service, described what happened to the cooling system and left it with them to figure out, the wife told the Service Manager we do not what it back until it is fixed.

I know this is a bit long but three days of riding a hot 2018 tri glide with a water issue is to say the least stressful and I am glade I brought extra coolant. My biggest concern right now is "WHERE DID ALL THAT COOLANT GO" there were no signs of leaks anywhere on or around the trike.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:14 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

You know for emergencies they make this stuff called water you can use temporarily.

Heh, many years ago as kids dad was driving along in the country and the old 63 Plymouth 318 blew a soft plug. He tried a juice jug cap and the darned thing fit the hole in the block apmost perfectly!!! Filled the system back up with water from the ditch and made it back home just fine, had to stop every 3 or 4 miles to add a little more ditch water.