Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

HD Heated Pants 98327-15VM

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default HD Heated Pants 98327-15VM

Just ordered the HD Heated Pants. Just curious, do you wear those over your jeans, under your jeans or instead of your jeans?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:05 AM
zigzag
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default heated pants

Don't know about the HD brand but any of the heated gear I have, Gerbings,Tourmaster etc is worn over another layer.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:39 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

......instead of jeans!! Wear a pair of long johns, then heated pants and "over pants over the heat liner. I have the HD brand also, plus jacket liner and gloves. Don't leave home without 'em.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:43 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I don't have heated pants but I do have heated gloves and a heated jacket liner with a dual controller.

I leather pants over my jeans and I'd suggest that if you're doing the same that you try the heated pants on before buying them to make sure they're large enough.
My leather pants are a size bigger (2") than my jeans and due to their weight I wear both a belt and suspenders.
The heated pants won't be nearly as heavy as leather but make sure they won't slide down!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

You could also have some that go over or under your pants, and wear a pair of chaps; or skip the heated gear and just wear the chaps.

Yeah, I know, old heavy, cumbersome, hard to put on and store chaps, but...

Take a look at these.
www.coloradochaps.com

Nylon, Cordura, Balistic Nylon and Kevlar chaps that are light, very easy to put on even without having to sit down, and don't take up much room when folded up in their pouch. There's a velcro loop that goes around your belt to hold them up. And you can get them fleece lined or mesh backed or whatever options you want. Reasonably priced, and custom fitted.

In fact, when you order them you give them a bunch of measurements and how you want them to fit, and you get an amazingly well fitting and comfortable pair, you really hardly know you are wearing them. I'd advise calling instead of using the form, and they'll walk you through it.

I got a pair six months ago, ballistic nylon with leather pipe patch on the right side only. I use a pair of suspenders or carabiners to hold them up because I don't wear a belt ('cause I got no a$$.) They don't tend to fall down anyway. They were about $135. Just a very satisfied customer.

Oh, and the ballistic nylon does a tremendous job of stopping the wind and rain. Apparently so do the standard nylon and Cordura, but not quite as well. The Kevlar, not so much, it's porous but tough as nails.

Tell Lorna that I sent you. Super nice lady.

Last edited by Oogie Wa Wa; 01-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:03 AM
bagger51
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Update
I had a chance to test ride the pants yesterday. The temp was not real cold, about 38 degrees. I went with long underwear under the HD pants. I also had heated HD jacket liner, HD heated gloves and I also heated grips. I put a ski mask on under my helmet. I had everything set to Med (amber) and took off. I have to say everything worked pretty darn good. I was plenty warm except for my feet. I ended up putting a heat pack in my boots which really helped. My next test is to go for a ride when it is in the 20's. About the only advice I would give on the pants is to get a bar of soap and slick up the zippers before you use them. They are a little stiff at first and it really helps.

The following users liked this post:
coronetracer65 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 388 Likes on 254 Posts

I use an unscented wax candle for stuff like that, stole it from the wife. I keep one in the junk drawer, one in the garage, and one in the basement shop, where it won't draw moisture like soap. Lots of uses; ease wood screw install.

Oh, for temporary, quick waterproofing of a piece of material, here's a trick; rub it all over with a wax candle, and then hit it with a hair dryer. It melts the wax into the cloth. A lot of commercial waterproofers are just wax dissolved in something that evaporates, does the exact same thing.