Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Zumo 660 interface

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zumo 660 interface

Anyone tried the Harley interface for the 660? I recieved a 660 for Christmas and am putting it on my Triglide. The Harley interface says it is for the Road Tech Zumo, will it work for the standard Garmin Zumo? I would like it to interface with the radio. Anyone tried this? Thanks, Jerry

Old 12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I believe the Garmin Zumo and the Harley road tec Zumo are the same unit...give Garmin a call and they should be able to set you straight..but be prepared to hold for a while with Garmin...they will get o
To you and the best in customer service,but hold time is somewhere around 30 minutes.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Casper
I believe the Garmin Zumo and the Harley road tec Zumo are the same unit...give Garmin a call and they should be able to set you straight..but be prepared to hold for a while with Garmin...they will get o
To you and the best in customer service,but hold time is somewhere around 30 minutes.
True.
I have that interface installed on mine--fairing mount. Be prepared to crimp and install pins to the big connector to the radio. Just follow instructions exactly. I had to reread several times. Also installed Y cable for mp3 music stored on my Garmin that I routed to aux connector on radio front. Garmin voice interrupts radio audio nicely. I also bought 4Gb SD chip for more mp3 storage on Garmin. The only thing I can't figure out (which I posted earlier) is how to integrate the 2.5mm jack (microphone for iPhone Bluetooth I believe) into the Harley headphone system). Good luck! It's a nice setup.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:52 AM
fogrider
Intermediate

Other sites " hdtalking " are reporting that the 660 other than road tech do not integrate with the existing system. Pease let us know if you find out different, I'm buying a 660 this week and would hate to have to pay the 200 dollars extra for the road tech.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by fogrider
Other sites " hdtalking " are reporting that the 660 other than road tech do not integrate with the existing system. Pease let us know if you find out different, I'm buying a 660 this week and would hate to have to pay the 200 dollars extra for the road tech.
Zanotti has it for $682.80 plus shipping.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Exclamation

I just read the box my 660 came in. On the front it reads "Road Tech zumo 660". I found the name Garmin only on the bottom of the box in fine print. On the back it reads the kit contents : head unit, map dvd, automotive mount system, motorcycle cradle and harness assy., mount dust cover, carrying case, usb cable, AC power supply/charger. If there is a difference from what Garmin has for the 660 on their website, it must be the motorcycle interface which is the cable harness. Without that, I would say you could still mount it to our handlebars and plug it into the aux port of your radio. Best bet: call Garmin!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Default 660 interface

Thanks for the replies guys, has anyone tried the 660 with bluetooth. J&M has a nice BT setup that will interface with everything and no wires. I think Scala has one also. Maybe we will get some feedback on these alternatives. Thanks, Jerry

Old 12-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dogdaz
Thanks for the replies guys, has anyone tried the 660 with bluetooth. J&M has a nice BT setup that will interface with everything and no wires. I think Scala has one also. Maybe we will get some feedback on these alternatives. Thanks, Jerry
The only thing I've done Bluetooth on mine is "lock-in" with my iPhone. I haven't tried any phone calls because I don't know how to integrate the microphone. I suppose I could plug directly into the Garmin with a mic but I don't like dangling wires.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
Zanotti has it for $682.80 plus shipping.
I did something I usually don't do on the higher priced items---I bought from the dealer!
At the time H-D was offering a free gift on purchases over $300, they were sending a Freedom Bell to the troops in Afghanistan, and a $75 rebate was being given on the 660. They offered $100 on the 665.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 AM
TKanaley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Boom
True.
I have that interface installed on mine--fairing mount. Be prepared to crimp and install pins to the big connector to the radio. Just follow instructions exactly. I had to reread several times. Also installed Y cable for mp3 music stored on my Garmin that I routed to aux connector on radio front. Garmin voice interrupts radio audio nicely. I also bought 4Gb SD chip for more mp3 storage on Garmin. The only thing I can't figure out (which I posted earlier) is how to integrate the 2.5mm jack (microphone for iPhone Bluetooth I believe) into the Harley headphone system). Good luck! It's a nice setup.
Are we talking about the "Road Tech Navigation Interface Module" part #76000024?

If so, I recently had my dealer install it with the RT Zumo 660. I personally haven't had a chance to take a ride and check it out yet, but the service tech said it does what it's supposed to do. We'll know about that soon enough.

I've heard a lot of grumbling about the Interface Module on other sites, with some folks unable to get it to work. Most all of the complaints come from folks who own the Garmin 660, but not the Road Tech version of the same unit.

As far as the internal MP3 player on the RT goes, it was my understanding that the Interface Module negated the need for a hook up to the Aux port on the faceplate of the radio as everything was supposed to be connected to the radio behind the fairing? I haven't a SD chip with any music recorded on it "yet", so I am unable to check it out for myself.

From the HD catalog:
The module attaches directly to the radio, is concealed within the fairing, and does not require connection to the "AUX" input on the radio faceplate, allowing you to listen to a portable music device through your auxiliary input. Kit includes adaptor cable that permits stereo sound from the zumo's internal MP3 player or XM® Radio.
Perhaps I just misunderstood the above quote.

T

Quick Reply: Zumo 660 interface