Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Special Thanks to Bullet 10 (Tom)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Special Thanks to Bullet 10 (Tom)

As many of you know several of us on the forum have lost body parts. At least three uf us that I know of are left leg amputees. That being said, I was looking for a mechanical solution to be able to shift the trike on the right side. I consulted with Tom and also FLTR208Trike (I hope I spelled that correctly). Both gentlmen sent me photos of the conversions they built. I decided to go with Tom's design as he was having his updated to what we both have now. I would have had to cut my lowers with the other design and did not wish to do that. I just wanted to share some photos of the conversion to share with you all that M3 will post for me.

The entire unit is machined out of stainless steel. Two machined block are mounted to the upper transmission mounting bolts. Needle bearings similar to our cam bearings are pressed into the machined blocks. The shaft rides through these bearings and is secured with a snap ring. You can see the shifter on the right side and I can brake with my tow and downshift with my heel. The shaft has a machined male groove on the left end.

The plate on the left side had a machined female groove that locks the two pieces together. The outer shifter rod is from Landmark Engineering as are the heim joints and needed to be shortened 1/4" The inner rod is from a V-Rod and is bent for clearance and shortened to the proper length. Tom's machinist did one hell of a job and I appreciate the time and effort that Tom put into this project helping me out. The transmission shifts perfectly and positively. The last photo is of my trike as it sits today. All that's left is to chrome out my front end and the parts are on order. Again I hope you guys enjoy the photos and always remember where there is a will there is a way.

Best Holiday wishes to all and go for it Mike and thanks for posting the photos.

Buddy....

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 12-20-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter

Brian, your welcome, been using this setup for 10 years now and never missed a shift. Had to redesign to use with the new H-D exhaust headers.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Brian, your welcome, been using this setup for 10 years now and never missed a shift. Had to redesign to use with the new H-D exhaust headers.
Tom,

It works like a charm and has revitilized the way I ride. BTW, I failed to mention that the insallation takes about and hour or so and the only part that needs to be removed is the rear heat shield. Just wanted to share with eveyone on the forum to show what can be done if minds and members work together.

Just shows that nothing can be overcome with some ingenuity. I just wanted to let the other members know and share that we are all in this together. If there is anything you can add after M3 posts the photos, feel free to chime in. You deserve the credit for all we went through to get these shifters right and maybe we can help out a wounded warrior out later on.

Love ya Bro and happy holidays,
Buddy....

Last edited by Buddy WMC; 12-20-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy WMC
If there is anything you can add after M3 posts the photos, feel free to chime in.
Here are the photos, nice clean looking install.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Wow, that's sweet! Good job guys....some real smart people on here....nice people too!
Karma, all this will come back ten fold....you guys are the shitzel...

Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Very slick! Reminds me of my old Brit bikes & sporty with the R/H shift...

Old 12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
softail113
Stage II
Thumbs up Right hand shifter.

HI, my name is Carlos. I am friends with Tom. I am the machinest who built yours and Toms shifters. i have to say, im so glad that it worked out so well for you. After all the hard work , and thinking up a design with Tom, it is really nice to see the end results. I have to say Tom made many trips from the lake to my house, wich is about an hour and half or so one way. So we could try and get all the bugs worked out of the shifter. I have helped Tom repair his old shifter a couple times, and helped modified it to work with the new trike, but it just wasnt the right fit for the new trike. between us we came up with what you have now, and i hope hope it will give you many miles of smooth shifting.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:35 AM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

Originally Posted by softail113
HI, my name is Carlos. I am friends with Tom. I am the machinest who built yours and Toms shifters. i have to say, im so glad that it worked out so well for you. After all the hard work , and thinking up a design with Tom, it is really nice to see the end results. I have to say Tom made many trips from the lake to my house, wich is about an hour and half or so one way. So we could try and get all the bugs worked out of the shifter. I have helped Tom repair his old shifter a couple times, and helped modified it to work with the new trike, but it just wasnt the right fit for the new trike. between us we came up with what you have now, and i hope hope it will give you many miles of smooth shifting.
Hey Carlos, great going and doing something like this is fantastic. Thanks for being a friend to the disabled needing help!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by softail113
And thank you sir for a quality well working piece. My hat is off to you!
Best Wishes,
Buddy....