Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Reverse motor failure!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Reverse motor failure!!!

My friend has a 2011 Tri and had a problem with his reverse. Found out from the dealer today that the motor went out. They will replace it under warranty. I thought I was brousing some forum and read where there was a problem with some of these motors. Am I remembering right? And have they improved or corrected the problem? Gee, see these motors are like 1400 bucks if I remember correctly.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:49 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

There have been a few people who have had some problems but not many. I figure if mine ever goes south on me I'll install a mechanical reverse in the trans.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:40 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive also have only heard of a few problems. My thoughts are same as M3s, a mechanical one. I have Champion reverse kits in two of my other bikes and they work great

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

I told my bud that when he was buying that I would forgo HDs reverse and go for Champions. I see Motor Trike now has one out to with a safety feature.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 AM
lzski326
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed mine over to the Champion unit. It makes it much easier to back my trailer up, than the electric.
I have a good reverse motor if anyone needs one. I have no idea what its worth, make offer.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:42 PM
Igotwoxs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lzski326
I changed mine over to the Champion unit. It makes it much easier to back my trailer up, than the electric.
I have a good reverse motor if anyone needs one. I have no idea what its worth, make offer.
I'm an MMI HD graduate and do a lot of stuff for my friends. I have. One who's reverse isn't working and it's the "hold out" switch in the Selenoid. Does you motor still have the Selenoid attached and if it does and still works, what would you sell it to me for?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:53 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The motor on mine was intermittently sticking and acting as a brake until I selected 1st gear and it would free up after a few feet.
I pointed it out at first service and it does not seem to do it quite so much now.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:47 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

Originally Posted by CaCruizin
The motor on mine was intermittently sticking and acting as a brake until I selected 1st gear and it would free up after a few feet.
I pointed it out at first service and it does not seem to do it quite so much now.
When you use the reverse let the trike roll free just a foot or so after you let off the reverse button. This will let the drive retract from the driven gear. If you stop right when you let off the button or stop with the brakes while still pulling with the starter motor, the motor drive can't UN-torque against the driven gear & will not be able to move away from each other.
Without it releasing the drive things get expensive !

Old 11-01-2014, 02:48 PM
Redcrow
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloufoot
When you use the reverse let the trike roll free just a foot or so after you let off the reverse button. This will let the drive retract from the driven gear. If you stop right when you let off the button or stop with the brakes while still pulling with the starter motor, the motor drive can't UN-torque against the driven gear & will not be able to move away from each other.
Without it releasing the drive things get expensive !
Well on my 12 the reverse stopped working with just 3100 miles on it? Dealer said it was common and had another trike in for repair same time as mine! I think 1400 for essentialy a starter motor is crazy. Luckily I had extended warranty. I would change to mechanical as others have said before I paid Harley for one! Reminds me of all the parts I had to replace on my SG that should have been recalls.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:42 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
When you use the reverse let the trike roll free just a foot or so after you let off the reverse button.
I started to do this and now I roll back into the garage so I can ride out rather than reversing out and try to use reverse less.

The trike wouldn't start a few days ago and I had to put the tender on overnight to charge the battery. I think it was from too many short journeys and using reverse too much as well.

Quick Reply: Reverse motor failure!!!