Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

tri-glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 PM
tx2lane1970
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tri-glide

Hello, I have a 2012 triglide. stage 1 kit (dealer installed)and arlen Ness 13 inch handlebars(independent shop). I am having electrical problems with this $30,000 POS since we bought it. We first took it in Sept 2012 for a wiring issue, the cigarette lighter kept popping fuses & popping out of the holder when pushed in. They found the wires on the cigarette lighter were backwards and they found a broken wire in the harness right behind the drivers floor board, that was melted (3700 miles) Then about a month later the voltage guage would go down past 8 volts. We had to convince them to install a new voltage regulator. that new one died 2 months later, so another one installed. then in Feb 2014 the check engine light, voltage was below 10 volts and the battery light came on. Then the next time we started it, it would run and act just fine. Then in may 2014 these symptoms started again. Took it again back to harley and they found the starter went out and damaged the stator. those 2 items were replaced, however we never received any paperwork showing the repairs. Now the check engine light, battery light and voltage guage (past 16 volts) is acting up again. Took it back again and another issue with the wiring at the drivers side harness again. They repaired this again. I went and picked it up a few days later and I noticed the stereo clock was at 12:00. I set the clock and drove home. Next day started it and the clock again was at 12:00. Drove it to work, no issues. Left work and radio was dead. I sent the service manager an email stating what was going on. No response, Took it out again the next day and the bike voltage went past 16 volts, check engine light came back on and battery light. I sent another email to the dealer. No response. 3 days go by and I called harley corporate and was told that the bike was heavily modified and are not going to do anything to help me. They said that I need to restore the bike to its original condition to qualify it for a lemon law. I just want it fixed correctly. I need some direction on what could be the problem. Has anyone else had the same electrical issues.?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:16 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,411 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Damn... with all those electrical issues, I'd put it back to stock and let them lemon law it...

Good luck...

Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

We first took it in Sept 2012 for a wiring issue, the cigarette lighter kept popping fuses & popping out of the holder when pushed in. They found the wires on the cigarette lighter were backwards That one is laughable. You were fibbed to on that one

they found a broken wire in the harness right behind the drivers floor board, that was melted (3700 miles)[/COLOR] Was this related to a problem or part of the cig lighter issue.

Then about a month later the voltage guage would go down past 8 volts. We had to convince them to install a new voltage regulator. that new one died 2 months later, so another one installed. then in Feb 2014 the check engine light, voltage was below 10 volts and the battery light came on. Then the next time we started it, it would run and act just fine. Then in may 2014 these symptoms started again. Took it again back to harley and they found the starter went out and damaged the stator. those 2 items were replaced, however we never received any paperwork showing the repairs. Now the check engine light, battery light and voltage guage (past 16 volts) is acting up again.
They have had some issues with the voltage regulator. Other than the two issues with the shorted wire/burnt wire the regulator is probably most of the issues including the radio.

The stator issue was not caused by the starter problem. I would also get a service manual and find every ground on the bike and check or clean and make sure they are all good. Bad grounds can cause havoc with drawing back through systems and causing spikes that will kill a digital radio. Also the reverse relay under the right cover is bad about getting bad connections and puts lots of load on the charging system and can spike the radio also.

Last edited by ke5rbd; 08-01-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:18 PM
tx2lane1970
2nd Gear
Default voltage regulator

so here is an update. drove again yesterday and the check engine light and battery light illuminated. got home a retreived the codes, code b0563, b1006 and b1007. After searching online threads I inspected the voltage regulator. found only one side plugged in. I reinstalled the plug. I still don't have radio, however I will be purchasing the repair manual to trace down the circuit. Both the radio fuse and keep alive memory fuse is good. Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2014, 04:12 PM
tx2lane1970
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
We first took it in Sept 2012 for a wiring issue, the cigarette lighter kept popping fuses & popping out of the holder when pushed in. They found the wires on the cigarette lighter were backwards That one is laughable. You were fibbed to on that one

they found a broken wire in the harness right behind the drivers floor board, that was melted (3700 miles)[/COLOR] Was this related to a problem or part of the cig lighter issue.

Then about a month later the voltage guage would go down past 8 volts. We had to convince them to install a new voltage regulator. that new one died 2 months later, so another one installed. then in Feb 2014 the check engine light, voltage was below 10 volts and the battery light came on. Then the next time we started it, it would run and act just fine. Then in may 2014 these symptoms started again. Took it again back to harley and they found the starter went out and damaged the stator. those 2 items were replaced, however we never received any paperwork showing the repairs. Now the check engine light, battery light and voltage guage (past 16 volts) is acting up again.
They have had some issues with the voltage regulator. Other than the two issues with the shorted wire/burnt wire the regulator is probably most of the issues including the radio.

The stator issue was not caused by the starter problem. I would also get a service manual and find every ground on the bike and check or clean and make sure they are all good. Bad grounds can cause havoc with drawing back through systems and causing spikes that will kill a digital radio. Also the reverse relay under the right cover is bad about getting bad connections and puts lots of load on the charging system and can spike the radio also.
voltage regulator

so here is an update. drove again yesterday and the check engine light and battery light illuminated. got home a retreived the codes, code b0563, b1006 and b1007. After searching online threads I inspected the voltage regulator. found only one side plugged in. I reinstalled the plug. I still don't have radio, however I will be purchasing the repair manual to trace down the circuit. Both the radio fuse and keep alive memory fuse is good. Any suggestions?...Also the wire in question is in the harness that runs along the frame on the right. It's a red wire that is connected to a black wire.

I can send a picture.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM
tx2lane1970
2nd Gear

well, I removed the regulator and found only 1 plug attached. I reinstalled the other plug and all seems good so far, but still no radio. does anyone think that the regulator being unplugged sent a spike to the radio and took it out?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ness 13 inch handlebars(independent shop).........And when did these problems start? Before or after the handlebar swap?