Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Engin light and battery light came on

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engin light and battery light came on

I was riding along and seen my engine light and battery light come on hit the turn signal and they both went out ...went a little ways down the road and they came on again..turned off my running lights and went out again... Arrived home and checked the charging with battery tester and it reads a little over 12 volts..My volt meeter on the bike used to read about 14 volts running down the road now it reads about 12.5 any ideas ? voltage reg. or stator it is on a 04 ultra...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM
factoryhdtech
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engin light and battery light came on

To test the stator, first find the connecter on the voltage reg. that goes to the Stator, and disconnect it. Using the connector that goes to the stator, set your voltmeter to ohms, and place each lead of the meter on each of the pins of the connector. It shoud read .1 or .2 ohms. Swap your Leads and do this again, you should get the same result. If you have three pins in this connector, use this method, (1,2 2,3 1,3) with your leads. The results should always be .1 or .2 ohms (continuity). At this point you need to check each stator lead to ground. Keeping you meter set to ohms, put one lead to any good ground, and the other to each pin in the connector individually. These results should always be OL of OFL (open) depending on the type of meter. If you get these results, the stator is most likely not the issue. In which case it is probably a bad regulator. You could also try this: with the bike running and the connector still disconnected, set you meter to volts AC, and place each meter lead to a pin going to the stator. At idle its usually between 23 an 30 Volts AC, and at 3000rpm you should see that voltage jump to above 50 VAC.

Hope this helps
Good Luck

C. Souza