Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cornering issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Cornering issues

Not sure how some people on this chat line tell me that they can keep up with two wheel bikes through the twistees ????? I have road everything from rockets to Ultra's ! I have a 2014 Tri Glide that I have put on 8000 miles on it . I just did the Lolo Pass in Idaho . 190 miles of 40 mph corners ! My 2 wheelie buddies ( Victory's ) had a hay day ! If you want to do 40mph plus you fight every corner ! I have tried six ways to sunday of styles of riding it to make it better ??? My arms were ready to fall off by the 100 mile marker ! Looks like it is time to hit the gym !!! Cant sell it as my wife will kill me ! She loves it !!!!!

Any help would be great

Bandit

Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Timbrr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning the Trlglide

I started a thread a couple of months ago titled Still not feeling stable. Find that and you find a ton of information. I hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't feel bad Bandit.....I don't even try to keep up with 2-wheelers in the twisties!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
CaCruizin
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can keep up with the two wheels easily just by pushing harder one side of the bar and pulling harder on the other side.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM
COFLHTK
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If you haven't put a lift kit on your trike yet, then do that, it makes a significant steering difference. Other than that, push/pull. I have no issues outrunning 2 wheelers in the twisties.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:01 PM
WalterM817
Tourer

The trike will do it. It's gonna wear you out doing it though. That front wheel has to be held through the whole curve. The lift kit may help but I'm afraid the steering is just what it is. I've been surprised at what they are capable of on curves but you do pay the price in the shoulder and arm dept.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Dont know if it'll work for you but this is what I do for twisties and aggressive riding.
1. Lean, not as must as on two wheels, different type of lean. I look over the inside of the fairing on the inner part of the curve. Have the passenger do the same if one is aboard.

2. Put a bit of pressure on the outside floorboard, this helps keep you centered.

3. Have you gear already selected if you can, no shifting in the corner.

4 stiffen the outside forearm, helps with keeping pressure on the bars.

I move around quite a lot when running the curves...

Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
eighty80
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Casper
Dont know if it'll work for you but this is what I do for twisties and aggressive riding.
1. Lean, not as must as on two wheels, different type of lean. I look over the inside of the fairing on the inner part of the curve. Have the passenger do the same if one is aboard.

2. Put a bit of pressure on the outside floorboard, this helps keep you centered.

3. Have you gear already selected if you can, no shifting in the corner.

4 stiffen the outside forearm, helps with keeping pressure on the bars.

I move around quite a lot when running the curves...
I agree, it works for me.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:45 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts
Default A no BS reply

IMHO

...the lift kit(s) do not make turning in the twisties easier. If anything, they shift a bit more weight to the front wheel. Not sure how folks think that makes it easier to turn.

...the force on your arms is proportional to speed and tightness of the turn. No matter what you do, it comes down to how many Ft-lbs of pressure you need on the bars.

... Yeah for a couple of turns, I can keep up with a similar sized touring bike. His max speed in a turn is when the boards drag, mine is how much force my arms can take. After a bunch of tight turns my arms do start to ache.

...as a general rule, I stick to the posted recommended curve speed, and I'm fine. Any more than that anyway, and you can't stop in your vision field.

Btw...I have joke dwith people, and said that because of my second point above, I am not strong enough to flip the Trike.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Bandit111
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the replies ! I have a DK lift kit on it ! I have tried these suggestions ! On normal rode's this hold true ! I am talking highlighted roads from my HD map book ! The LOLO pass I believe has 180 plus corners in 190 miles ! It follows a river all the way ! Some sections are more like a figure 8 ! The two wheel buddies are traveling at 60mph plus around all of them ! As for pushing and pulling .? The right turns are some what easier as I can push on the left hand bar ! But when I make a left I have to also have to run the throttle ! Hence pull more with the left hand ! At the posted corner speed you can feel the trike fight back on most corners ! The pushing the front feel ! Only once did I get into a corner to hot and the front end got loose as the back tire started to lift ! Yikes ... hard on the heart to say the least ! Not whinning , just looking for some input on how to make it better , or live with it !Other wise the tri glide is great ! Just ask my wife..hee, hee

Thanks again for the input .

Quick Reply: Cornering issues