Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 wet heads and fans tested

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 wet heads and fans tested

Family wanted to take a ride out to the Bates Nut Farm festivities last weekend. I said if I go, I'm taking the Trike. Temps outside about 85 and climbing. On the way out I noticed the traffic was dead stopped returning back from the Nut Farm. Traffic for at least 1.5 miles. Told wife not coming back this way. About 4 miles up the road , made a right turn and noticed traffic slowing and still had at least 3 miles to go. Traffic got slower to the point of stopping for about 20 seconds and then moving about 4 car lengths. Long story short, started to get worried. Ambient outside Temp now hovering around 90 degs. My Merlins cylinder head gauge was reading about 240 degs. After 20 minutes noticed fans were on steady but checking them a little later the air coming out of the radiator vents was coming down. Thought I lost the radiator water. No everything dry. Said to wife, maybe I should pull over, no we are almost their. NOT. one lane each way, tempted to hit shoulder, but noticed broken bottles in the ruts and shear dirt cliff. Not even enough for a Trike to pass. Stuck. Now I start to smell hot oil. Then I smelled gasoline, what next. Thinking radiator was going to blow and burn my legs. Made it to the Nut Farm. So I now feel that the Trike cooling system passed the test. I need to check all levels before going out again. All of you guys with 2014 Harley Tri glides, they will handle parade traffic fine. I know, been there. Used the clutch at least 200 plus times, cramps in the hand and only stalled once. The Chariot passed the test for me.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you running ETIMS? I leave mine set ON all the time.

Makes it feel more like an old Harley when I stop and idle .... LOL.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Default EITMS only on when certain criteria is me

TrapshooterBob, I was under the assumption when reading the MOM, manf. operating manual, that the Trike will go into this mode when not moving and at idle. I did not know if you can make it operate. If so how do you put it into operation?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 PM
TrapshooterBob
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engine Idle Temperture Management System works only at idle. You turn on by turning tank switch to ON. Then hold throttle FORWARD until it cycles ON. Same procedure to cycle OFF.

It turns off the rear cylinder and lets it pump air. Feels like an old thumper motor. As soon as you touch the throttle it turns off.

YOU CAN CYCLE IT WHILE RUNNING STOPPED AT LIGHT ALSO ...same procedure.

Works great for me.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:12 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Default Thanks for your input

Ill give it a try. Book says EITMS will activate if all numbered items are met and turns off if any lettered items are met.
1: motor temp has to be over 284 degs.
a. turns off when temp is below 275 degs.
2. throttle grip at idle
b. turns off if throttle is above idle
3. Vehicle is under 1 mph
c. turns off if speed exceeds 2 mph
4. Engine speed under 1200rpm
d. turns off if Engine speed over 1350 rpm
e. turns off if clutch is released and trike is in gear
I read the temps to cycle the fans but do not remember where it gives the on off temps for fans./

Old 10-23-2014, 06:46 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Family wanted to take a ride out to the Bates Nut Farm festivities last weekend. I said if I go, I'm taking the Trike. Temps outside about 85 and climbing. On the way out I noticed the traffic was dead stopped returning back from the Nut Farm. Traffic for at least 1.5 miles. Told wife not coming back this way. About 4 miles up the road , made a right turn and noticed traffic slowing and still had at least 3 miles to go. Traffic got slower to the point of stopping for about 20 seconds and then moving about 4 car lengths. Long story short, started to get worried. Ambient outside Temp now hovering around 90 degs. My Merlins cylinder head gauge was reading about 240 degs. After 20 minutes noticed fans were on steady but checking them a little later the air coming out of the radiator vents was coming down. Thought I lost the radiator water. No everything dry. Said to wife, maybe I should pull over, no we are almost their. NOT. one lane each way, tempted to hit shoulder, but noticed broken bottles in the ruts and shear dirt cliff. Not even enough for a Trike to pass. Stuck. Now I start to smell hot oil. Then I smelled gasoline, what next. Thinking radiator was going to blow and burn my legs. Made it to the Nut Farm. So I now feel that the Trike cooling system passed the test. I need to check all levels before going out again. All of you guys with 2014 Harley Tri glides, they will handle parade traffic fine. I know, been there. Used the clutch at least 200 plus times, cramps in the hand and only stalled once. The Chariot passed the test for me.
When your smelling hot oil, your oil is big time hot, I'd be changing the oil since its past its useful life now. The wet head is a good idea, it does protect the cylinder heads and make it cooler for the rider and passenger. It doesn't cool the oil which will continue to climb in temperature from the heat of the combustion process soaking into the pistons, which pass this heat into the cylinders and into the oil from the oil jets which spray the bottoms of the pistons to cool them down.

The primary oil has also taken a hammering, because all the clutch in and out adds a lot of heat into it.

Too much of that type of duty and you'll be using the warranty when the cylinders develop a lot of blow by and the top end needs rebuilt.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Default EITMS was disabled, enabled the EITMS

I found that the EIMTS was disable, I enable it. It would not have worked unless I would have been in neutral and clutch disengaged. Thanks for your help.
Originally Posted by TrapshooterBob
Engine Idle Temperture Management System works only at idle. You turn on by turning tank switch to ON. Then hold throttle FORWARD until it cycles ON. Same procedure to cycle OFF.

It turns off the rear cylinder and lets it pump air. Feels like an old thumper motor. As soon as you touch the throttle it turns off.

YOU CAN CYCLE IT WHILE RUNNING STOPPED AT LIGHT ALSO ...same procedure.

Works great for me.
When your smelling hot oil, your oil is big time hot, I'd be changing the oil since its past its useful life now. The wet head is a good idea, it does protect the cylinder heads and make it cooler for the rider and passenger. It doesn't cool the oil which will continue to climb in temperature from the heat of the combustion process soaking into the pistons, which pass this heat into the cylinders and into the oil from the oil jets which spray the bottoms of the pistons to cool them down.
msocko3, I called the HD dealer and they said it should be ok. They can replace with some synthetic.
msocko3:
The primary oil has also taken a hammering, because all the clutch in and out adds a lot of heat into it.

Too much of that type of duty and you'll be using the warranty when the cylinders develop a lot of blow by and the top end needs rebuilt.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Default New 1.18.2 infotainment version upgrade

I enabled the EITMS and it went into a active mode at the next stop light after I left the Harley shop. Yea.. Not sure if the new upgrade makes the difference. I was in first gear and the clutch pulled in, Im happy. I thought it said you have to be in neutral but that does not make sense. Learn something every day. Will need to see if the GPS a radio have any new stuff going on. Everything is good. Harley Mechanic said the oil should be good. He check it..