Vendor For Sale Classifieds HDForums Sponsors/Advertisers will post special group buys for our members here!! Check it out.

Harley Bluetooth Dongle by AKE - FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-way Bluetooth Dongle by AKE - Use OEM CB with BT Headset

Hello,

You will soon see one of our banners advertising the AKE module that plugs into your intercom port and provides full features via Bluetooth to your BT helmet. Yes we mean 2-way communication where you can talk on your CB and hear your GPS etc with NO cord going to the helmet.

We know, many people have looked and tried and given up on such a solution. This has been available for a few months but, because AKE is a German company with no presence in the USA outside of Spoiled Biker, and because we are relatively unknown in the HD community most people haven't heard of this. So I wanted to start this thread to group all of the information / questions / answers into one spot for the convenience of everyone.

First off AKE makes very high quality (and pricey) systems similar to J&M in Germany. Their BT helmetset was ranked as the very best by Web Bike World and provided superior sound quality long before G4 and SMH10 headsets became available. This dongle was originally used to connect their main control box (intercom / CB / music / phone etc) to their Bluetooth headsets. AKE first made an adapter to go from their mini-DIN to the Harley 7 pin DIN port. This worked ok but looked a little hodge podge. They then proceeded to make a Harley specific model and Goldwing model with appropriate firmwares for the difference in mics.

At this point we have a few customers who are using the latest model and are happy with it. The install is very simple. It gets ground from the intercom port and requires 1 wire to be attached to a 12V+ connection. Pairing is straight forward although the documentation with the device is absolutely horrible. We have put together a 1 page sheet which tells you what you need to know.

Does it REALLY allow me to use my CB?
It has 2 modes:
1. Stereo with no mic function (default)
2. Duplex (2-way) communication with mono (same sound comes through both headset speakers)

What helmets and BT headsets are compatible?
The AKE device uses standard BT headset profile or hands free profile (HFP). It SHOULD pair to most BT headsets on the market.
This is our experience so far:
The device can be paired with any Bluetooth headset but the latest version of the Sena firmware V4.0, on the SMH10 makes it the best choice. WIth the SMH10 you can pair your phone AND the AKE device simultaneously.[/B]

Does it add functionality? Can I connect my phone to it?
This device ONLY replaces the cord and transmits the same media through the air via Bluetooth. If you already have a CB you can use the CB. If you already have a GPS you can use the GPS. No new functionality is added, only the cord is eliminated.

Note: Because the AKE dongle uses the headset profile most Bluetooth headsets cannot pair to it and a phone at the same time. With the Sena SMH10 you can pair a phone and the AKE dongle.

Can it be installed on the passenger intercom port?
Yes, either port but please check that your push to talk button on the handle bar will key up the mic on the rear by using a corded headset... some bikes seem to have issues with this while others don't. We also have a 7-pin DIN port extension cable (custom made) that can be used to move the AKE dongle to a more secure place. However, you must be able to access the button for pairing and changing modes from 2-way communication to stereo (unless you want to just leave it in 2-way mode which is the default on power up.

Does it need to be charged?
No. There is no battery. It gets its power from the bike and turns off with the key. Only 1 wire must be ran because it gets the ground from the intercom port housing.

What is the cost?
List price is $249.

Are these in stock?
Yes.

What is the return policy if it doesn't work with my helmet
Our generous return policy is aimed at making sure you are happy with your purchase. 30 day money back guarantee no questions asked as long as it is in new condition and in the original packaging.

Last edited by Spoiled Biker; 05-22-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor
Default Image of the dongle

Old 12-10-2011, 03:34 PM
iwamas
Intermediate

do you have any pictures of this unit installed on a bike? does it just hang down on the tank?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor
Default Installation options

We don't have any pictures to post but will get some.

We do have a custom made extension cable that is 2' long that will allow you to move it 2' away.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by Spoiled Biker
Note: Because the AKE dongle uses the headset profile it cannot be paired to your helmet at the same time as a phone paired to the helmet. With the Sena SMH10 you could pair the AKE dongle and a Bluetooth MP3 player.
I've got the SMH10, paired with another SMH10 and my phone. Am I reading this correctly, that with my current setup, I cannot utilise an AKE dongle with the CB on my bike's Harmon Kardon head unit?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Grind
I've got the SMH10, paired with another SMH10 and my phone. Am I reading this correctly, that with my current setup, I cannot utilise an AKE dongle with the CB on my bike's Harmon Kardon head unit?
You can keep the intercom connection to other SMH10s and now thanks to V 4.0 can also pair the AKE and a phone simultaneously. Check out the video below.

Last edited by Spoiled Biker; 05-22-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Steve Surratt
Stage II
Default Bluetooth

I am looking for a Bluetooth receiver that I can plug into my HD Ultra's 7 pin communication port. What I would like to find out if anyone makes is a module that can plug into the 7 pin port and then be able to plug in as well the wired headset. This would allow Bluetooth phones and GPS to send a signal to the module that would in be heard in the wired headset. Thanks

Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steve Surratt
I am looking for a Bluetooth receiver that I can plug into my HD Ultra's 7 pin communication port. What I would like to find out if anyone makes is a module that can plug into the 7 pin port and then be able to plug in as well the wired headset. This would allow Bluetooth phones and GPS to send a signal to the module that would in be heard in the wired headset. Thanks
I don't know of one that plugs into the headset port but I think there is an upgrade sold by Harley that might do it on the new bikes.

This AKE module and the Sena SMH10 headset with the latest firmware will allow you to have all your bike's audio (including CB) and a phone (or phone through your Zumo) paired to a Bluetooth headset. This was not possible (AKE & phone simultaneous) before the latest Sena firmware which just came out this week.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

Just wanted to note that the V4.0 firmware update from Sena now allows you to use this AND your phone paired to the SMH10 at the same time. It is a great addition.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Spoiled Biker
Former Sponsor

Because it is a little complex we made a video on how to pair the AKE dongle with your Sena SMH10 and still have the iPhone paired for taking calls.

http://youtu.be/pSmyPWDG8iY

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Quick Reply: Harley Bluetooth Dongle by AKE - FAQ