VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Best way to negotiate with a dealer for a 2011 night rod special?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:28 AM
batgirl474
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to negotiate with a dealer for a 2011 night rod special?

I'm looking to buy a new HD night rod special...need some pointers on what's a good deal and a good dealership in the DFW area.

Kim

Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM
1badbagger
Road Warrior
Received 1,621 Likes on 427 Posts

Hey Kim,
Welcome, and take my advice. This forum here gets almost "0" VROD action. Do yourself a favor and go to 1130cc.com it's a dedicated VROD forum only !!!! Lotsa nice people there, as here, but WAY more of them.

Ride safe !!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Futurehd
1st Gear

2011 would be your best deal. You'd get more for the money. HD dropped $3000. My 2011F is $16200 out the door. DX is $300 cheaper. I love them both. I tossed the coin and the F won.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:52 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring lots of cash

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
icreepin
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree also 1130cc.com has a ton more people although this site seems to have some nice people also.

But to answer your question, the internet is your friend and I would do some research on invoice price vs retail, then call around in a X mile radius that you would be willing to drive. I would start 1000.00 under invoice after you made sure that they had one in stock. Make sure all of the numbers and price you get includes there "prep fee". I for one would purchase from the guy or girl that was most helpful and upfront during this proccess.

When you are asked how much are you looking to pay or whats your price range in a very nice polite and professional manner stick to the can you please provide me with a price. The one who refuses just dont do business since they probably arent looking to give you the "deal" that would make you happy any way.

Now service is important but just remember you can purchase from any dealer and you will still be given the same type of service that the person who purchased from said dealer gets. Service, parts, and aftermarket is where dealers make the most money anyway.

Now for parts and accessories all shops are going to charge x amount of dollars make sure you get what ever that price is upfront. then when they quote you prices on the parts and accessories get the part numbers and goto

http://www.chicagoharley.com/shop/bike_sales.php

then ask the dealer where your located if they will match the price if not there per hour shop rate doesnt change but get what you need cheaper from the link. Thats what I do. HD doesnt have to equal Hundreds of Dollars.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:41 AM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Agree on 1130cc.com. That's my VROD site and here is my bagger site...lol.

Re: a dealer in DFW, I'd recommend American Eagle. I drove up there to buy my '09 VRSCAW close out. They were easy to work with and were not high pressure.

I always use Kelly Blue Book TRADE IN value to gauge how good a deal a bike is. I use trade in because it is more conservative and I think it is more accurate than the sales value. I'd check out some of the bike sales sites (cycletrader.com) and get a feel for what the bike you are looking for is selling for.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i would love a night rod special!! thinkin about it!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

Get 2-3 dealers that have them in stock ,get the best prices from each of them and play them against each other , i did this with a car once , saved a bundle , even had them scrapping the barrel for a few pounds in the end ,they got embarrassing , if its credit your getting for the bike the best deal will be the cheapest in the longterm , not what bits and bobs they tag on , play hardball with em , but be prepared to walk away from them all if there not doing you a great deal , its winter , they are not selling many bikes at the moment so squeeze hard , good luck

Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

refuse to pay for dealer prep. and freight. ask for 20% off on parts and service for as long as you own bike--settle for 10%...this insures that you will be a regular customer for them and will save you a lot of money in the long run. nearly all will give the 1k service for free if you ask. pay cash or have your financing pre-approved before you walk into a dealership. buy from existing stock--do not expect a discount on something they have to order.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
badknees
Road Master

I believe Harleys are priced that One dealer cannot undersell the bike. You may get them to throw in some perks:ie better trade if you have one , better discount on parts etc. I know i'll get disagreements on this but check it out first.

Last edited by badknees; 01-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Best way to negotiate with a dealer for a 2011 night rod special?