Sponsored by:

Exhuast and PC V question question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhuast and PC V question question

I removed my power commander V and my Rieinhart exhaust from my 09 UC...Im picking a new limited on Wednesday I called over to Fuel Moto and spoke to someone there who told me I couldn't use my P/C with the new bike I needed to purchase a new one there were to many changes ....1st question can I run my exhaust system with out fuel management on the Rushmore engine and second Why cant my power commander be updated with new software it on there web site it states PC V will work on 14s....Thanks Joe

Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 PM
RussH
Tourer

There are different versions of the PC V. Your 09 PC V has a different part number then the one needed for the 14. FM is a big sponsor here and would not be in their best business interest to screw you. I would suspect the ECM connections are not the same from 09 to 14 as well as other differences.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 255 Posts

The ECM connections are different on my '14 than earlier models. As for the PC, if you need to replace it, I would suggest going to a unit that flashes the ECM rather than a piggy back unit. I've had several TBW bikes now and had always used Power Commanders in the past. My experience is that they just don't perform nearly as well on a TBW bike as they did on previous ones. PCs are throttle position based units, TBW bikes are NOT throttle position based but Lambda based. I've had much more success for quality tunes using a flash device. I've used the SEPST and the currently have the Techno Research one on my Limited.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:04 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master

Thanks guys .....Can I use the slip ons till I get a new unit and air cleaner

Old 10-27-2014, 07:08 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

I would not run the exhaust system without a tune.

Can you change the exhaust and run without a tuner? Yes.

Will you blow your engine up if you change the exhaust and run without a tuner? Probably not.

Can you expect to get 50,000 miles out of your engine if you change the exhaust and run without a tuner? Most likely.

Will it run correctly if you change the exhaust and run without a tuner? No.

Dealers and their parts and service departments are a business, in business to sell motorcycles, and motorcycle parts and accessories. They will tell you that you can get away without a tuner, because a LOT of guys won't come off the jack for a tuner, and they're afraid they'll lose sales if they tell you to get a tuner.

Changing the air flow without changing the VE tables is not beneficial. These bikes run lean from the factory, adding a more free flowing exhaust makes them run more lean.

And as others stated, a flash tuner is best.

Do what you want, I won't criticize, just trying to offer things to think about.

...but there is a reason I won't buy a used bike as my primary ride...

Old 10-27-2014, 10:29 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

The PC-V unit for your 2009 bike works on 08-13 touring models, 2014-2015 models use a different ECM and require a different PC-V unit. We offer quite a few different tuning options starting with our $199 Fuel Moto Micro Tuner, to Power Commander, Power Vision as well as Thundermax. Power Vision is by far our best selling product, it is extremely flexible and gives you a wide range of tuning parameters. You can also use this product on multiple bikes by adding additional tune license's. We also have calibrations for most popular combination and can pre-program the unit before we ship. Fuel Moto offers unlimited support as well as several warranty incentives for our customers as well, and we even include a free handlebar mount and visor kit with each Power Vision purchase.

Also note, we also have our Tune In To Fuel Moto program which give you a $150.00 trade in for your current tuner toward Power Vision. There are full details here http://www.fuelmotousa.com/tunein.html

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-27-2014, 04:04 PM
RussH
Tourer

I Just got my power vision and air cleaner package deal. Great price and I really like the flash tuner over the plug n play tuner. Id go with the Poer vision if your budget can afford it.