Sponsored by:

Am I the only one? (Hand brake)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:31 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Am I the only one? (Hand brake)

I have yet to use or apply the foot brake, over 5000 miles and I don't see a need for It. Linked system Is awesome.

Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Seems pretty dangerous at slow parking lot type speeds

Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,629 Posts

He's referencing the new linked ABS on Rushmore models: Reflex linked ABS brakes (optional on the base Street Glide). The system is unusual in that it electronically adjusts the overall proportion of linking, both front to rear and vice versa, based on how the rider is using the brakes. If you’re an expert braker and applying appropriate amounts of front and rear pressure, Reflex will assist you very little. If you have poor technique, Reflex will assist you by adding brake pressure where it can most effectively be used, shortening stopping distances and enhancing safety.

I've never driven a Rushmore, but guessing OP's not using a whole lotta front brake in parking lots...they're referring to regular stops. I'd have to say I agree with Rustrtal's comment tho, on the fact you're getting used to hitting "front" bake more than both by habit so...what happens in a panic-stop situation?

Old 11-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Not linked under 20 mph

Old 11-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Mike Stone
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my 2014 FLHTK, I have the perception that if I use the front brake only, the forks seems to “dive” more. It might be true or it might be because the system is more sensitive to the same amount of lever movement thus making the front levers more sensitive. I have been trying to use the rear brake only with in a slow turn (if needed).
I have a bad knee so I tend to put both feet down within 30’ of my stopping point…thus using the front brake.
Perhaps the linked system does not apply equal pressure to both front and rear but will favor which ever lever you apply pressure to. I have read no literature about this yet. Perhaps someone of greater knowledge could chime in.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:35 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I use both brakes and ignore the fact that I have linked brakes, If the computer wants to intervene and help me out, Fine. Otherwise I will not practice poor riding habits thinking the computer will take care of me.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 582 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
I use both brakes and ignore the fact that I have linked brakes, If the computer wants to intervene and help me out, Fine. Otherwise I will not practice poor riding habits thinking the computer will take care of me.

Sounds very logical to me.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:08 AM
CADguy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixguns
I concur. When I had my 06 Road Glide, I learned to drag the rear brake a little doing tight turns, what a difference it made. Helps watching some of those Palladio (sp) riding videos on YouTube.

The linked brakes on the new Rushmore bikes do not engage if you are under 20-25 mph per HD. But, they work real nice when you slam on the brakes at 70.

I test road a 15 Road Glide (not special model) and slammed on the brakes around 75, back end started sliding out. Forgot it didn't have the linked brakes. Did it on a 15 Street Glide Special with linked brakes, stopped in a dam hurry. No back end sliding out either. Very nice setup IMHO.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:16 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I use the brakes on my Limited just like I have for every other bike I have owned. I just notice that the bike handles much better when I do. Besides, my Heritage does not have linked brakes and I need too keep habits that work with both bikes.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:16 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
I use the brakes on my Limited just like I have for every other bike I have owned. I just notice that the bike handles much better when I do. Besides, my Heritage does not have linked brakes and I need too keep habits that work with both bikes.
Talk about riding the other bike, My 56 has mechanical brakes, the front will hold you from rolling if your on flat ground, the rear will skid if you push hard enough. Going from the the 14 to the 56 I have to remind myself that basically, I have no brakes and ride accordingly.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one? (Hand brake)