Sponsored by:

Gear shift indicator

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:35 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,715 Likes on 2,689 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I've ridden my whole life and I really do like having the gear indicator--I also like the tach and speedometer as well.

Now I'm sure I could ride without any or all of these, but I'm way past that point in my life of doing without things--just like I'm way past playing foosball in my moms basement.

Grow up tdkkart, your posts are completely unnecessary and childish in nature.
That's because you know I would smash you in some goose All!

Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,439 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Between my bad ears and wind noise I can't hear the engine in 5th and 6th. Having the gear / tach is handy for this old man. And it would have been nice on the WG. It had short shots, so don't say all I need is louder pipes.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

It's a calculation by the computer. Engine RPM + Vehicle Speed + Clutch Engaged = Gear Position. If the Clutch is disengaged (Lever Pulled In) You're not actually in any gear, nor are you in Neutral. Ergo . . . No Gear or Neutral Indication is provided. While my 2015 shows all 6 Gears . . . My 2010 only shows 6th Gear . . . and my Goldwing assumes you know what you're doing if you bought a $25,000+ Bike. It doesn't show any gears . . . Honda assumes that you probably know what Gear you're in. That whole, Look at the Speedometer, then look at the Tachometer and maybe listen to the Engine even . . . . Harley must think their customers have trouble with this sort of higher cognition stuff. I may have to consider a Scooter with a CVT Transmission.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:27 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tdkkart
Oh fer christ sake, if you've ridden a motorcycle for more than a month it had better be automatic. If it's not maybe one should consider foosball instead of motorcycle riding as a past time.

There's NO reason for a display to know what gear you're in, you're either in the right one or the wrong one. Again, do it over and over and it becomes and instinct. If it doesn't you're mind isn't in the right place to be riding.

You must be one of those that think because YOU don't like it or don't use it, everyone else is wrong and should change to the way of your thinking. Sounds about the same time I turn on any news channel.

Now, I'll add something useful to the OP's question....

As it was said, it is calculated based on speed and rpm. One nice feature of it is that it can help if you think your clutch is slipping. The indicator will go up and down if it is slipping.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:59 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting how opinions change.
Wasn't so many years ago that the MoCo offered an accessory handle bar mounted gear indicator. At that time the general opinion was that it was the most ridiculous thing ever invented for a motorcycle.

I guess I'm of the age the bikes we grew up on didn't even have a neutral light, let alone telling you what gear you were in. We learned to know what gear we were in and when to change to a different one.

BTW, my daughter bought a new car the other day, with a manual trans. Guess what it had in the middle of the dash..........yep, and she figured out how to turn it off within hours of buying.

Sorry I stirred the pot........