Sponsored by:

No Playable Media Found and frequent Infotainment lock ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Nipdawg
I picked up the bike tonight from HD service. They have ordered a new USB cable for the 14 FLHX to see if it is the cable. HD wants to see if the problem still occurs with a new USB cable connection before replacing the Infotainment Boom Box (4.3 Std). I agree as USB connectors can go bad. Installation will be some time next week and time will tell if it corrects it or not.

I just want the Infotainment Boom Box to work like it should. When I first bought the FLHX Street Glide, I did not use the Media player that much until I got used to listening to music. Now if I don't have music playing, or the radio on, it seems like something is missing.
Good Luck with it. Sounds like H-D has acknowledged you have an issue. That may be 3/4's of the battle right there.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammz
Good Luck with it. Sounds like H-D has acknowledged you have an issue. That may be 3/4's of the battle right there.
Over the past weeks, especially this past riding weekend, the Infotainment Boom Box kept showing No Playable Media Found. I then went to using the radio as I was around town (about the only time I can get radio stations). Now the when trying to get the radio to play I saw a message of "Inoperable Unit" showing on the screen. After selecting OK, I just have a plain red background (or whatever the color is on the background).

Harley is replacing the USB cable in the bike this week, however, this will not fix the ongoing radio problems. I contacted the local HD service tech about this problem and he is going to contact Harley about it.

I like the 14 FLHX bike, however, with the Boom Box not working like it should, I am almost to the point I don't want the FLHX. I bought the bike mostly for the radio/music among other things. Otherwise I would have kept the Heritage Softail and just added on the audio option myself.

If you turn off the power on the radio and leave it off for a while, turn it back on, the radio remains locked up at the same screen. You have to turn off the bike for a while to allow the radio to reset. This is very annoying when riding with others where they don't understand the problem.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

For me the biggest disappointment in the 2016 touring line is Harley's apparent failure to address the numerous infotainment concerns. I just rode my buddy's 2014 limited and it kept jumping between the iPod and the radio with no input from me. I'll wait until the 2017 model year before considering trading my 2012 CVO Ultra, which I still love riding.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:21 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bad connection between the USB drive and the cable it connects to.

I have had a few times where my media is not found. I simply unplug it and plug it back in firmly and no problems for weeks.

I think due to the massive vibration on all our rides those contacts may not only loosen up and allow the media to shift and not connect, but I also feel the exposure to dust, heat and humidity, even oil or debris on the contacts from touching it, can have a negative impact.

You don't really want to use a USB drive larger than 32 gigs. The time it takes for the initial scanning of the data becomes very lengthy and also could lend itself to mis-reads and other issues.

The post about it switching from media (ipod) to radio simply means the media was not staying in contact and connected.

I'm not saying they aren't without issues and this is the answer to all issues but try simply removing it and sliding it back in. Maybe even some dielectric grease on the contacts would help.

My 4.3 system often restarts on the radio instead of my media on my USB drive. I think this happens due to reading the media timing out and the radio sensing no media in a certain time span reverts to the default radio setting.

Most of the time too if it does start playing media it may have lost the program of the album or artist I had previously selected and play the entire collection on the USB drive until I reprogram it.

I know at first I was told you must shut the engine off at the kill switch to shut down the bike correctly and not cause a fault to the radio. But it seems like either way of shut down with the ignition switch or the kill button still gives me an issue on restart.

When it works, which is most all the time, it is a far superior system than any other model year's stock system before the Rushmore series.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
I think due to the massive vibration on all our rides those contacts may not only loosen up and allow the media to shift and not connect, but I also feel the exposure to dust, heat and humidity, even oil or debris on the contacts from touching it, can have a negative impact.
I usually push the USB flash drive down in the foam inside the compartment to make sure it does not move.

You don't really want to use a USB drive larger than 32 gigs. The time it takes for the initial scanning of the data becomes very lengthy and also could lend itself to mis-reads and other issues.
I have been using 8GB and 32GB USB flash drives lately where if I disconnect the USB flash drive, the Infotainment Boom Box still showing "Reading..." without ever going away until I turn off the bike.

Most of the time too if it does start playing media it may have lost the program of the album or artist I had previously selected and play the entire collection on the USB drive until I reprogram it.
There are many times where the Infotainment looses all my previous settings and I have to go through the settings again. A few times I had also set the date-time again after turning the bike off and back on to reset the radio/media player.

I know at first I was told you must shut the engine off at the kill switch to shut down the bike correctly and not cause a fault to the radio. But it seems like either way of shut down with the ignition switch or the kill button still gives me an issue on restart.
Ditto. The 4.3 Std. Boom Box 1.19.1 update seemed to fix some of those problems.

When it works, which is most all the time, it is a far superior system than any other model year's stock system before the Rushmore series.
I may reset the Infotainment Boom Box back to factory settings again and re-install the 1.19.1 update to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what else to do at this point.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:44 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nipdawg
....The 4.3 Std. Boom Box 1.19.1 update seemed to fix some of those problems.

I may reset the Infotainment Boom Box back to factory settings again and re-install the 1.19.1 update to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what else to do at this point.
When I first got my bike, before any updates, it often would not even power up consistently on restarts. The second update cured that.

I can't be certain but updates usually contain certain changes. And I don't believe the latest update contains all the other updates needed. So I would caution anyone resetting to factory settings and only applying the last update. I could be wrong but with an app you have a collection of updates with each one only containing certain fixes / changes. Now if you reload the entire app you will get the latest version with all updates installed. Again not sure how that applies in this case.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:51 AM
Nipdawg
Advanced

I can't be certain but updates usually contain certain changes. And I don't believe the latest update contains all the other updates needed. So I would caution anyone resetting to factory settings and only applying the last update. I could be wrong but with an app you have a collection of updates with each one only containing certain fixes / changes. Now if you reload the entire app you will get the latest version with all updates installed. Again not sure how that applies in this case.
I did a factory reset last night again. The software version still shows 1.19.1. That is all I had time to do last night and will be riding soon where I can check to see if any problems still occur (which they usually still do).

Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Update...

On Thursday (8-27-15) the local HD service tech installed a new USB cable in the 14 FLHX. Right after installing the new USB cable, you can skip through the music without any problems. However, shortly thereafter, the media player on the Infotainment Boom Box locked up once again. I was able to ride to the local HD dealer service to show them the lock up problem. The master tech was not there on Friday to look at this closer, but I plan on dropping off the bike on Monday for them to look at this problem further.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

2015 Ultra with 4.3 infotainment system with latest update installed.

I've been fighting with a 128 Gig thumb drive and with the system for a while now. First I discovered that Windows won't format a large drive with Fat32. Fat 32 is what the radio likes to "see." Downloaded a small application that let me force a Fat32 format on the thumb drive. Loaded about 10,000 songs (in albums) on it and plugged it in. It worked...kinda sorta. It would display and play all the songs but I couldn't search by artist or album, etc. It would only list all the songs in alphabetical order.

Found one album on the stick that I had somehow fouled up the artist/album/titles on it, so I simply deleted it and plugged it back in. Didn't do anything else to the drive...just deleted an album and stuck it back in. It refused to recognize anything on the stick. Just kept saying it was reading the media. Did that for 30 minutes until I pulled it out and uttered various curse words so foul that it denuded all plants within 25 feet of me.

Fall back and punt. Got a 1 gig stick and fired up the aforementioned application for formatting drives. The program defaulted to an "allocation unit size" of 4096 for the 1 gig stick. Stuck in the 128 Gig stick and the allocation unit size defaulted to a much higher number. (Don't recall what it was, but it was much larger!) Formatted the 1 gig with the 4096 size and loaded up 3 albums. Took it to the bike and it worked perfectly. Now I had a base line from which to gauge the rest of my experiment. Formatted the 128 gig drive after manually selecting the 4096 allocation unit size. Loaded up the same 3 albums and plugged it into the bike. Bingo! Worked like a charm. The next test was to put all my music on it. As a precaution, I reformatted the 128 Gig drive with the 4096 allocation unit size and then installed about 500 albums on it. Took it to the bike and plugged it in.

(Insert drum roll here)

It worked! Took maybe 5 seconds and was able to search by album, artist, etc. Anyway I feel like maybe I've conquered that particular problem.
The application I used is called GUIformat. (It's free.) Formatted the 128 Gig stick with Fat32 and the 4096 allocation unit size.

(Standard disclaimer. I have no financial interest in GUIformat or its company, yada, yada, yada.) Once you are on their page just click on the picture of the program it will give you the option to download it.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (08-29-2016)
Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
2015 Ultra with 4.3 infotainment system with latest update installed.

I've been fighting with a 128 Gig thumb drive and with the system for a while now. [...]

[...] Now I had a base line from which to gauge the rest of my experiment. Formatted the 128 gig drive after manually selecting the 4096 allocation unit size. Loaded up the same 3 albums and plugged it into the bike. Bingo! Worked like a charm. The next test was to put all my music on it. As a precaution, I reformatted the 128 Gig drive with the 4096 allocation unit size and then installed about 500 albums on it. Took it to the bike and plugged it in.
I will reformat the 128GB USB flash drive to FAT32 and give this a try.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: No Playable Media Found and frequent Infotainment lock ups