Sponsored by:

Extra

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Motor 8
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Extra

I am wanting to add additional lighting to my 2014 Limited. The dealer tells me that I may not add lights that they have to go through the computer. Wondering if I am being fed a bill of goods? Or...if I am being sold more labor costs? Can't I wire direct to the battery with a fuse?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Doesn't make sense to me...

Only thing that I am aware of that the computer has to be flashed for is to keep your aux lights on while high beams are on. Even the instructions for the various lights for the engine guard that HD sells mention nothing about computer flashes.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Captnpirate
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm getting ready to add LED Driving lights to my highway bars and I want them on when I have my high beam on so I am planning on taping into the high beam wire for the power. That way when the high beam is on, they will be as well. Tell me if you think this won't work.....

Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Yesterday I added Custom Dynamics - Dynamic Ringz to my 2014 Street Glide. Last May
I added H-D a LED, Run-Brake-Turn Lamp to my saddlebags, it came with a controller.
Yesterday my turn signals flashed rapidly at first, then I put the Bikes flashers on for 1
minute, now it works normally. Add the Lights yourself, the new Can Bus system is suppose
be LED compatible on all Rushmores.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:31 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Captnpirate
I'm getting ready to add LED Driving lights to my highway bars and I want them on when I have my high beam on so I am planning on taping into the high beam wire for the power. That way when the high beam is on, they will be as well. Tell me if you think this won't work.....
Use of the high beam wire to run a relay for the lights should work... But I personally wouldn't try to run more lights off of any other lights, LED or not.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:05 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Like ^^^^ said, you should not wire direct power off your high beam and may / can cause the little red light to come on. The best thin to do is to use the high beam power to turn on a relay. Them you can grab main power from the accessory connector. The other option is to purchase the accessory switches on the dash but sounds like you only want the lights for the for high beam use.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:31 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer is full of refried beans. Took my 14 Ultra, removed the passing lamps for SG signals, swapped out the fender to install a bullet light bar, added the saddlebag lights. All plug and play, nothings been flashed either.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I am running two Hella halogen driving lights off the battery via a relay triggered by the high beam wire. Works just dandy. I also added a switch so I could turn off the Hella lights if I didn't want them to come on with the high beam for some reason.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Motor 8
I am wanting to add additional lighting to my 2014 Limited. The dealer tells me that I may not add lights that they have to go through the computer. Wondering if I am being fed a bill of goods? Or...if I am being sold more labor costs? Can't I wire direct to the battery with a fuse?
You CAN wire direct to the battery, but make sure you use a relay (and of course a fuse). If you want the lights to come on with the high beams, tag the trigger wire from the relay into the highbeam wire. It works just fine. I'm using 2 Hella halogen driving lights wired like that with no problems.

Last edited by Yukon42; 09-21-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Yukon42
You CAN wire direct to the battery, but make sure you use a relay (and of course a fuse). If you want the lights to come on with the high beams, tag the trigger wire from the relay into the highbeam wire. It works just fine. I'm using 2 Hella halogen driving lights wired like that with no problems.
Which Hella lights are you using and do you have a pic of how you mounted them? I have been looking at options to do the same thing.

Quick Reply: Extra