CB woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 04:34 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JM-ANDY
Pastor Ron,

The new tuneable J&M shorty CB antennas for the back of your Harley are being released on or about March 25th 2016.

Full details are shown here. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=HBSA-1416
Thank you for the info JM-ANDY!!!

Old 02-18-2016, 04:44 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious Andy. How do you tune the SWR? every CB platform is different and small differences can have a dramatic effect. With the combination of the stock coax along with the J&M aft section I had to adjust the FireStik long and couldn't get it below 3:1 from channel 19 up. As soon as I replaced the coax with the FireStik coax I had to shorten it dramatically. I actually completely removed the adjustment screw on the FireFly. That got me down to 1.25:1 on the lower cannels and around 1.4:1 on the upper half. What SWR are you seeing when testing it?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:52 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Question. Looking at this product online and how its connector is male and the ones on the bike are female, how did you do this? Did you have to use an adapter of some kind? Can you please elaborate on this?

Also, seeing you are only seeing 2.5watts output, do you see any reason their 3ft antenna wouldn't give the same results?
http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/FL3-FL4.htm

Thank you!
Yes I bought an adaptor. here is the link. http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....E-HARLEY-ADAPT
As far as the shorter antenna goes I would lean towards needing a longer antenna with less power since a CB radio is much more line of sight than a FM radio. You just have to be careful with the height. With the 4 foot antenna on my 14 limited I just brush the weather stripping on the garage door.

Last edited by Pastor Ron; 02-18-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 PM
JM-ANDY
Platinum Sponsor

Pastor Ron,

Using the pre-production samples of our new shorty antennas on our 2016 Roadglide Ultra, we were able to fine tune the SWR at 1.6 for both channels 1 and 40.

Which makes the SWR on all other channels at 1.6 or lower.

Even though these new antennas come out of the package pre-tuned for the CB radio they can still be fine tuned to achieve optimum results across all 40 channels.

Tucson, AZ 85713
Andy@Jmcorp.com
1-800-358-0881
For HD-Forums VIP Promo $$ discount code send email direct to Andy@Jmcorp.com
Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

Awesome Andy. Sounds Great. You guys do good work.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:56 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Where can a guy get his CB checked for performance and tuned if necessary? I hate to buy a SWR meter for checking it one time. Plus, I don't know much about CB radios and how to tune them myself.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

All the stuff is under the faring and the connectors are not what is typically used for CB radios. I ordered the connection adapters on line for 6 bucks apiece I think and a SWR meter for under 20 bucks and did a little research. Of course if you don't have a tunable antenna once you know what the SWR is, and you will be disappointed, there is nothing you can do about it. As far as a shop look around truck shops. They often have CB shops.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:16 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor Ron
All the stuff is under the faring and the connectors are not what is typically used for CB radios. I ordered the connection adapters on line for 6 bucks apiece I think and a SWR meter for under 20 bucks and did a little research. Of course if you don't have a tunable antenna once you know what the SWR is, and you will be disappointed, there is nothing you can do about it. As far as a shop look around truck shops. They often have CB shops.
Thanks, I did a little research and learned a few things. I appreciate your input....

Old 02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Great information, I do much of my riding on the interstate and listen to the trucker chatter for accident information, has saved many hours of sitting on the highway in the summer heat. Anyway, I was looking of the information you so kindly put up here, thank-you of the that.

Just wondering how the tour pack connection will stand up to the added stresses from a taller stick?

With the FM antenna removed would it add any benefit to double the CB antenna's? say 2 shorties as opposed to a single 4 ft'r?

Last edited by HardRider1; 02-19-2016 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:16 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JM-ANDY
Pastor Ron,

Using the pre-production samples of our new shorty antennas on our 2016 Roadglide Ultra, we were able to fine tune the SWR at 1.6 for both channels 1 and 40.

Which makes the SWR on all other channels at 1.6 or lower.

Even though these new antennas come out of the package pre-tuned for the CB radio they can still be fine tuned to achieve optimum results across all 40 channels.
Andy, Thank you. I took a look at your web site and from the image posted there I can not tell how this antenna is "fine tuned", can you help me out?

Quick Reply: CB woes