Sponsored by:

CB woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor Ron
Just curious Andy. How do you tune the SWR? every CB platform is different and small differences can have a dramatic effect. With the combination of the stock coax along with the J&M aft section I had to adjust the FireStik long and couldn't get it below 3:1 from channel 19 up. As soon as I replaced the coax with the FireStik coax I had to shorten it dramatically. I actually completely removed the adjustment screw on the FireFly. That got me down to 1.25:1 on the lower channels and around 1.4:1 on the upper half. What SWR are you seeing when testing it?
Ron, Thanks for your excellent write-up on this thread.

Do you know of anyone who sells a tuned NGP Coax of less than the 18' that FireStik sells and that you say you used? and/or What about an NGP Antennae requires an 18' length? Since I can't seem to find many suppliers of this item, let alone anything other than ~18' . . . it makes me just a tad suspicious that the 18' length is a part of what makes it a "Tuned" Coax. Also . . . where in the heck did you store 18' of cable on the bike?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:57 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Here's a link to the CB "bible" of the 70's.... https://books.google.com/books?id=wU...length&f=false

It talks a bit about coax length, and what it can, and can't do.

I still have that dogeared book on my shelf lol.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor Ron
Yes I bought an adaptor. here is the link. http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....E-HARLEY-ADAPT
As far as the shorter antenna goes I would lean towards needing a longer antenna with less power since a CB radio is much more line of sight than a FM radio. You just have to be careful with the height. With the 4 foot antenna on my 14 limited I just brush the weather stripping on the garage door.
Thank you!!!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:12 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Great information, I do much of my riding on the interstate and listen to the trucker chatter for accident information, has saved many hours of sitting on the highway in the summer heat. Anyway, I was looking of the information you so kindly put up here, thank-you of the that.

Just wondering how the tour pack connection will stand up to the added stresses from a taller stick?

With the FM antenna removed would it add any benefit to double the CB antenna's? say 2 shorties as opposed to a single 4 ft'r?
From what I have found out so far, two antennas won't change the required length; in other words, not 1/2 the length of one. It has to do with each individual unit's performance as to how long the antenna must be for optimal output. I'm going to get an SWR meter myself now and mess with mine.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Ron, Thanks for your excellent write-up on this thread.

Do you know of anyone who sells a tuned NGP Coax of less than the 18' that FireStik sells and that you say you used? and/or What about an NGP Antennae requires an 18' length? Since I can't seem to find many suppliers of this item, let alone anything other than ~18' . . . it makes me just a tad suspicious that the 18' length is a part of what makes it a "Tuned" Coax. Also . . . where in the heck did you store 18' of cable on the bike?
I am currently using a ground plane antenna. 18 feet was pretty easy to store. I made 1 and half passed through the wire tray then made a small bundle behind the passenger's seat. Here is a down side. There is no connection behind the passenger's seat now to easily remove the tour pack. It is a much bigger deal but I never remove it so it's not an issue for me. Before I had the ultra I had a Voyager and I had a 3 foot NGP FireStik with the NGP coax which is 17 foot and it absolutely can't be shortened. That worked great too but there is a built in power loss of around 18% with the NGP antenna compared to a GP antenna.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Great information, I do much of my riding on the interstate and listen to the trucker chatter for accident information, has saved many hours of sitting on the highway in the summer heat. Anyway, I was looking of the information you so kindly put up here, thank-you of the that.

Just wondering how the tour pack connection will stand up to the added stresses from a taller stick?

With the FM antenna removed would it add any benefit to double the CB antenna's? say 2 shorties as opposed to a single 4 ft'r?
From what I read the distance between the 2 antennas should be at least 4 foot so 2 antenna's on the tour pack would not work. I have 3 flags mounted on the luggage rack on my tour pack and they put much more load on the tour pack than the 4' antenna does. I don't anticipate a problem.

Last edited by Pastor Ron; 02-19-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: typo