Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A CB problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default A CB problem

The CB radio on my Ultra doesn't transmit voice on its carrier wave.

I haven't used the CB at all most of the years I've had this bike. So, when i started riding with another guy who is CB equipped, I installed the headset into another helmet I have to communicate with him. He says he hears me transmit but there is no voice.

I swapped out the headset with my wife's which is barely used. Still no luck. So, I figured it was the connecting cord and ordered a new one from parts at the dealership. Nope, that didn't do a thing for it. I checked the antenna ground and it is good.

I'm guessing the CB module is the problem. The question is how do I get it fixed?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
The CB radio on my Ultra doesn't transmit voice on its carrier wave.

I haven't used the CB at all most of the years I've had this bike. So, when i started riding with another guy who is CB equipped, I installed the headset into another helmet I have to communicate with him. He says he hears me transmit but there is no voice.

I swapped out the headset with my wife's which is barely used. Still no luck. So, I figured it was the connecting cord and ordered a new one from parts at the dealership. Nope, that didn't do a thing for it. I checked the antenna ground and it is good.

I'm guessing the CB module is the problem. The question is how do I get it fixed?
Before assuming the issue is your CB, there are a couple additional checks you could perform:

a) Verify the microphone does indeed work. You can do this via the Intercom function. Either use 2 headsets/2 people to communicate headset to headset via the intercom function, or making sure the intercom is on & volume turned up, try transmitting & talking on the CB (with the intercom on, you should be able to hear yourself in the headset if the microphone is working).
b) Verify that your buddy is on the same channel, has his CB volume turned up & can actually receive a CB signal from at least one other bike.
c) Make sure your CB antenna is located on the correct side (right side of tour pack - sometimes they get installed on the left in error) and there is a good connection at the CB antenna cable located inside your tour pack.

If all of these conditions check out (you hear yourself on intercom & buddy can hear another CB transmission on his bike), then the problem will most likely be a bad CB module. If you can't hear yourself on the intercom, the microphone or headset cable or connection is faulty & will need to be replaced. If your buddy can't hear another CB signal from another bike, your buddy's radio settings are set incorrectly.

Good luck.

Last edited by Hammz; 12-19-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:16 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

And it doesn't take much of a squelch to screw things up,also supposedly on the rushmores and with the latest update you don't hear yourself transmit, don't assume it is your radio until you have exhausted all other things these rushmore bikes are tricky for example you have to be in the cb mode to be able to turn up the volume of the CB same thing with the intercom and your passenger has to be talking to get the volume up so you can hear them, prompts on the nav system same same she has to be giving a prompt to get the volume up or down.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:47 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

good suggestion about trying to see if the mike is working. that would be my first check. other suggestions about the squelch are good too. i haven't used mine at all on this bike. my helmet won't accept the speakers unless i cut out the ear holes better. good luck.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:35 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Wow! I think you just helped me solve a mystery that has been bothering me for awhile. I never really used the CB on my bike, but a few years ago when a friend and myself decided to take a road trip, we thought it would be fun to use the CBs on our bikes (he never used his either). He rides with a full face helmet with integrated speakers and I ride with a half-helmet and installed the Boom! Audio Half Helmet Music And Communications Headset that came with the motorcycle. During one of our stops we were talking about the differences in our helmets. He mentioned that he could hear his voice when he transmits in his helmet and I told him that I couldn't hear my voice in my helmet when I was transmitting. Sure enough, I tried his helmet on his bike and I could hear my voice when transmitting. I tried my helmet on his bike, and now I could hear my voice when transmitting.

Next, I tried his helmet on my bike, and I could not hear my voice when transmitting! Mystery........strange that both my helmet and his helmet worked on his bike, I was able to hear myself when transmitting on the CB, but both did not work on my bike.

Well, it looks like to be able to hear yourself when transmitting on the CB, you need to have the volume on the Intercom turned up! NOTE: the intercom does not have to be on.

Can someone else try and verify this?

Originally Posted by Hammz
Before assuming the issue is your CB, there are a couple additional checks you could perform:

a) Verify the microphone does indeed work. You can do this via the Intercom function. Either use 2 headsets/2 people to communicate headset to headset via the intercom function, or making sure the intercom is on & volume turned up, try transmitting & talking on the CB (with the intercom on, you should be able to hear yourself in the headset if the microphone is working).