Sponsored by:

Works and Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Works and Suspension upgrade

Recently upgraded the suspension on my 2014 Street Glide Special to Works Steel trackers with ARS & DRS (explained below)rear schocks sprung to my weight and Legends Axeo FLH Anti-dive front suspension. All I can say, is that if you're on the fence about upgrading your suspension and you're not the average 180 pound rider that the stock suspension on our bikes is ideally setup for, you will love what this combination will do for you. Feels like a different bike with noticeably better handling.

I thought the bike handled fine prior to the upgrade. What I didn't like was how sharp bumps felt in my my lower back. This setup simply eats the bumps and comfortably. Holding a line with my 21s required a little more finesse than my stock tires which tracked well. Now, my 21s are just as easy to track with as my stock tires and quick transitions are now much easier.

"A Works Performance Single-Rate Spring(SRS) has the same linear, or continuous (straight) spring rate throughout its compressed length. It is evenly wound, (constant pitch), to give it a linear spring rate. Spring rate is described by force, in pounds or kilograms, needed to compress the spring one inch or centimeter. A 125 lb. spring at 4 inches long will deflect (compress) one inch (to a 3 inch length) when 125 pounds of force is applied. To compress the same spring an additional inch would take an additional 125 pounds. This rate does not vary throughout the useful range of movement of the spring, until the spring binds, (coils touch each other), and cannot compress any more. In many short shock applications, a Single-Rate Spring is all that can be installed."

"Works Performance Dual-Rate Springs (DRS) have two linear (straight) rate springs: a short spring with a "stiff" linear (straight) rate and a longer second spring with a "soft" linear (straight) rate. As both springs compress they result in a soft, or initial rate. The spring set will retain this initial rate until the short spring stops compressing. At that point, the spring rate "crosses over", (transitions), to the stiffer, or final, rate. On Works Performance shocks, this "crossover" point is set by means of crossover spacers, or with an ARS option. By adding or removing "crossover spacers", the rate can get stiffer sooner, or stay softer longer. The ARS option allows the rider to select the "crossover" point with a lever. The application of Single-, Dual- or Triple-Rate Springs is based on the overall length of the shocks, the shaft travel, and the available spring rates. Customer requirements also make a difference."

Last edited by Vision; 03-16-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the ad.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

May seem like an add, but I'm not a suspension guy myself or a mechanic. Tried by best to include as much information that I could so you guys would not have to fish for it in case you had questions.