Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monotubes - Not All Are Created Equal

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Monotubes - Not All Are Created Equal

I have been reading lots of info this past year regarding monotubes. I posted this in a recent thread. It is what I know, hopefully this will help some of you:

Monotubes are not all the same which has lead to misinfo regarding spacers/clips and monotubes on this forum.

Adding or removing clips on the standard height monotube appears to make the spring softer or stiffer as it is a progressive rate spring. Basically, clips either add or subtract the softer portion of the progressive spring. However, making the spring softer or stiffer per riders preference will also change the sag and it may not be the correct sag. On the lowered monotubes, clips do not change stiffness as these monotubes have a constant rate spring. Adding or removing clips only changes sag.

Hence, lowering monotubes are a "one size fits all", regardless of riders weight and preferences for a softer or stiffer ride. Standard height monotubes are somewhat adjustable, adding or subtracting the softer portion of the progressive spring, and good if you like progressive rate springs. However, when making the spring softer or stiffer, you also change sag and it may not be set correctly.

When reading montube reviews, its important to know which monotube, riders weight, and ride preference, soft or firm.

In comparison with racetech gold valves and ricors, you choose a spring rate per your weight, ride preference, and do not have to use a progressive rate spring. Gold valves and ricors also allow you to change dampening and rebound.

I am not bashing monotubes, many people like them. I am just pointing out some info that may help others when making a suspension decision or setting expectations for those who already have monotubes.

Last edited by KumaRide; 05-29-2014 at 12:45 PM.