Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone one running an oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Anyone one running an oil cooler?

I've read that the new twin cooled Rushmore bikes run hotter than older models due to higher compression. And HD removed the oil cooler to put the water pump in it's spot. Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil cooler? Are they worth it?
THanks

Old 06-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Read that where? The big book of Harley Fairytales?
It's true that the twin cooled engines have slightly higher compression, but that's because the way the engine is cooled works well enough to allow the higher compression. I don't believe they run hotter than the air cooled 103's, that doesn't even make sense. Yes the oil cooler was removed to make way for the water pump and thermostat on the wet heads, but that didn't result in a hotter ruining engine- just the opposite. I recall hearing in older threads that some may have installed oil coolers, I'm personally not convinced it's cost effective, perhaps if you're running in a very hot climate, but I'm not. I read way more comments on how much cooler the twin cooled engines run than complaints about excessive engine heat.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:55 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I'd love to see where you read that. Using an IR gun I've compared temperatures with an older bike. I'm always at least 50 degrees cooler than any other bike I'm riding with.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:42 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I know without measuring my 14 tk runs way cooler than my 09 uc

Old 06-09-2016, 06:51 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
I know without measuring my 14 tk runs way cooler than my 09 uc
I have had the same experience with my '15................Runs way cooler than my last '09 Ultra. Not sure an oil cooler on the twin cooled would even be worth the money. Just ride it and enjoy.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Granted this is from the company that is selling oil coolers, but you asked where I read it from.
Unique to the Twin-Cooled (air-cooled/liquid-cooled hybrid), also known as waterheads or wetheads:

The basics are the same on the Twin-Cooled as the Air-Cooled, with the addition of the following:

1. They have a higher compression, which creates more heat.
  2. They have slightly “hotter cams” which create more heat.
  3. The water pump is in the location where Harley normally puts the oil cooler, resulting in NO oil cooler. So the oil and all portions of the engine, except the liquid cooled heads, are even Hotter on the Twin-Cooled engines than the air-cooled.
  4. The felt heat from just the top couple of inches of the engine are cooler due to the liquid cooling.

Bottom line is the Twin-Cooled has Twin Problems:
  • While the heads are cooler, the rest of the engine is hotter
  • The oil gets hotter with no oil cooler to dissipate the heat.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Why-...CL-TC-DN-1.htm

I know, don't drink the kool-aid which is why I asked here on the Board of Knowledge for opinions.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2016, 08:35 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

That there is known as "marketing", otherwise known as a "salesman's lie". You don't need an oil cooler unless you're looking to lighten your wallet. And if you are, you can send your extra cash to me.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM
markfsanderson
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in San Antonio and upgraded my 103ci wet-head 2015 Ultra Ltd to a de-catted stage one as per my signature. It is certainly quite a bit cooler than my 96ci 2011 SuperGlide Custom (FXDC) that was also stage-oned (is that a word?). I was thinking about installing an oil cooler to my old FXDC but sold it instead. The FXDC was a great bike, and I still miss it . . . but the Ultra is a great ride . . . for sure! I can imagine putting an oil cooler (probably a single 10 row only) if I put a hotter cam on the bike and I started riding in more stop and go traffic. But that's not for sure . . . so far so good.

Mark!

Last edited by markfsanderson; 06-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:40 AM
striper.seeker
Tourer

yeah I can see that. But I would agree that there is a difference between "felt" heat and engine heat. Just because it "feels" cooler to the driver/passenger doesn't necessarily mean it is cooler inside. Just my thought.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
Granted this is from the company that is selling oil coolers, but you asked where I read it from.
Unique to the Twin-Cooled (air-cooled/liquid-cooled hybrid), also known as waterheads or wetheads:

The basics are the same on the Twin-Cooled as the Air-Cooled, with the addition of the following:

1. They have a higher compression, which creates more heat.
  2. They have slightly “hotter cams” which create more heat.
  3. The water pump is in the location where Harley normally puts the oil cooler, resulting in NO oil cooler. So the oil and all portions of the engine, except the liquid cooled heads, are even Hotter on the Twin-Cooled engines than the air-cooled.
  4. The felt heat from just the top couple of inches of the engine are cooler due to the liquid cooling.

Bottom line is the Twin-Cooled has Twin Problems:
  • While the heads are cooler, the rest of the engine is hotter
  • The oil gets hotter with no oil cooler to dissipate the heat.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Why-...CL-TC-DN-1.htm

I know, don't drink the kool-aid which is why I asked here on the Board of Knowledge for opinions.

Thanks
*BIG sigh*

I know DK is a sponsor here, and I don't want to disrespect him any - probably just the boilerplate sent to him by the oil cooler manufacturer...

By keeping the HEADS cooler, the heat has somewhere from which to dissipate. This keeps the system operating cooler as a whole.

Water/anti-freeze is a MUCH better heat transfer liquid than oil; the same flow rate of water/AF will absorb (and release) significantly more heat than oil. Sort of like heat travels through metal better than plastic.

With cooler heads, comes a cooler charge, more efficient burning, and a cooler engine overall.

Checking with others before taking the bait, hook line and sinker, was wise. Adding an oil cooler to a water cooled (even just the heads) engine should only be done if you have something outside HD's design parameters to deal with.

The following users liked this post:
striper.seeker (06-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone one running an oil cooler?