Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Dresser Dual exhaust bracket failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Harley1016
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Dresser Dual exhaust bracket failure

Was detailing the bike last night and realized the left side exhaust pipe was loose. Did a little investigating and found that the bracket that mounts up under the bike to hold the cross over pipe was snapped off. Luckily both parts were still there and I was able to weld it back together and re-paint it.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem with that bracket?

May have to make a new and improved one out of stainless if it fails again. One of the perks of being in the steel fab business!

Old 10-13-2016, 03:58 PM
-RocknRoll-
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on mine, and contacted V&H for a replacement bracket. On further inspection one of the two bolts sheared off and was stuck inside the housing....pita. Spoke with my HD mechanic/buddy and he said I had installed the bracket incorrectly, and the only time he sees it is for that very reason. He showed me what I did incorrectly and haven't had a problem since reinstalling. Hope this helps, but it sounds like exactly what I had experienced only to a lesser degree.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 506 Likes on 249 Posts

Interesting, never heard of that one. I've run plenty of V&H pipes but never had a bracket failure. Depending on how long you've had those, the may well send you another no charge.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 PM
realred04
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing happened on my 15 CVO Limited after I installed FM 2-1-2 header.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Harley1016
Advanced

We are going up to Biketoberfest tomorrow and I am going to swing by the V&H tent to see what they have to say.
-RocknRoll- how can you put that bracket on the wrong way? It only fits one way.
The bolts were fine but where it is formed to a 90° to bolt to the clamp, that's where it broke clean off.

The following users liked this post:
BezerkoBob (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley1016
We are going up to Biketoberfest tomorrow and I am going to swing by the V&H tent to see what they have to say.
-RocknRoll- how can you put that bracket on the wrong way? It only fits one way.
The bolts were fine but where it is formed to a 90° to bolt to the clamp, that's where it broke clean off.
I'll have to check mine tonight.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:01 PM
agram
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not quite the same but...

I had an 06 Dyna Lowrider that I bought in 2014 and put on V&H 2-1-2 Super Radius exhaust. Within 6 months the bracket that's welded to the exhaust broke (bracket that mounts to transmission)....pipe totally ruined. I called V&H in LA and they sent me a completely new exhaust very fast. Had an H-D dealer install this time to make certain no install mistakes. Within 2-3 months the bracket welded to the pipe was cracking and failing, same place. Took to a quality welder here in Phoenix and had him repair. Hadn't had a problem since. (bike now sold and got me a '15 FLTRXS.) Saw V&H at AZ bike week last spring of '16 and told them of the problem. His response was I should have talked to their customer service and gotten another replacement (again!!). Once bitten, twice shy....I'm glad I went with local, good welding, repair. I DON'T TRUST V&H QUALITY ANYMORE. Just my two cents/experience with V&H quality, although their customer service was excellent. Now with my RGS, I'm looking into stage one exhausts, but V&H is OFF my list

Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ive had to fix mine 4 times now, got a spare from the dealer. now both broke. Crappy design if you ask me.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Harley1016
Advanced

Originally Posted by TVan
Ive had to fix mine 4 times now, got a spare from the dealer. now both broke. Crappy design if you ask me.
Yeah, I don't think it is made out of thick enough material.
I did not get a chance to stop at their tent at Daytona and get a spare bracket.
But my repaired one is holding up rather well.

If I make a new one, it will be heavier and out of stainless steel.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:39 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had mine for 3+ years 17k miles and nothing broke yet and neither has 3 friends wth same set up. I think. I'll look when I get home.

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Dresser Dual exhaust bracket failure