Sponsored by:

activating ABS HCU after brake fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Default activating ABS HCU after brake fluid flush

I have been reading about the importance of activating the HCU after a brake fluid flush to get the clean fluid into it. How is this done? I assume you have to mash the brake pedal while in motion to get the unit to pulsate, which in turn moves the old fluid out. I don't mind doing that on the rear, however mashing the front brake while in motion sounds too scary. I know that going to the dealer is the best bet to service the HCU, but I am trying to do this on my own if possible. I can live with the old fluid in the HCU circulating with the new. I am hoping the HCU can be activated somehow at a dead stop but I am probably dreaming.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 443 Likes on 222 Posts

I think the only way to do that is with Digital Technician unless you activate it while moving.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisenheimer16
I have been reading about the importance of activating the HCU after a brake fluid flush to get the clean fluid into it. How is this done? I assume you have to mash the brake pedal while in motion to get the unit to pulsate, which in turn moves the old fluid out. I don't mind doing that on the rear, however mashing the front brake while in motion sounds too scary. I know that going to the dealer is the best bet to service the HCU, but I am trying to do this on my own if possible. I can live with the old fluid in the HCU circulating with the new. I am hoping the HCU can be activated somehow at a dead stop but I am probably dreaming.

I have a road near my house that's down hill and has waves/bumps in the pavement. It doesn't take a lot to activate ABS front or rear when braking on a road like that. Barring a bumpy downhill, it can be done on wet pavement pretty easy as well as gravel. But frankly, you should go to a parking lot and find the point were ABS engages on all types of surfaces, it'll make you a better rider.

One caveat, don't purposely engage ABS when the run out is short and you HAVE to stop. Engaging ABS increases stopping distance over stopping without engaging it.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Wisenheimer16
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm..good advice. Perhaps a progressive squeeze to engage rather than mashing it.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

One of the good folks on this forum posted this link, so I'm passin' it on. http://www.daytona-twintec.com/Twin_Scan3.html

I'm' not sure if it works on the Rushmores. I emailed their tech dept. and should know soon.

Last edited by jpooch00; 06-29-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 PM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never tried this but,, if you jack the rear tire off the ground and run the tire with the engine and apply the front brake this should activate the ABS system.?

Old 07-11-2017, 07:34 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleman
I have never tried this but,, if you jack the rear tire off the ground and run the tire with the engine and apply the front brake this should activate the ABS system.?
I don't know if that would work or not. If I understand correctly, the bike has to be rolling to activate the ABS after it's shut down and re-started.

Maybe start and ride it a short way to activate the ABS and then jack it up while it's still running and try out your method? I would think that might work.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:35 PM
chestypuller1970
Novice

anyone know the pinouts for the electrical connector on the abs control unit? its a electric motor so you should be able to activate it if you can figure out what is the + then you wouldnt need to stop the brakes or go to dealer to flush it all the way.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:45 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I think the abs only works at speeds over 20 mph.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:11 PM
chestypuller1970
Novice

if anyone has a electrical pinout diagram one could make it activate with a power probe.

Quick Reply: activating ABS HCU after brake fluid flush