Sponsored by:

boom map update or cheap garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:53 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
Same here sans the 8 track days, you must have a few years on me. I can't even remember the last time I was lost. I review a map either paper or electronically and go. My younger friends that rely on GPS's always seem lost. To me the GPS is an aid not a crutch.

I haven't tried co-pilot because I don't use my phone for navigation and I haven't found any reason to. I also don't pair my phone with the head unit. Tried it for a while and found it annoying.

I ran 4000 miles over 10 days and never missed a turn using BOOM. I also put zero stock in being able to talk to my devices. It's a motorcycle.
Well, I WAS about 10 years old when I had that 8-track.... I'm 50.

Yessir - sounds like you and I are brothers from a different mother. "GPS is an aid" - well said, and exactly the same here. I usually have a good idea of my path, the GPS just helps. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me....

Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
All I know is occasionally, when I get out into the far reaches, where cell service is spotty (southern Sierra Nevada's, for example), my phone "loses" me sometimes. A real-live GPS has never "lost" me.
You have to look at your settings. If your phone is set to use cell networks to augment its position, then it will sometimes lose itself when cell coverage is bad. If it's set to "GPS only", that won't happen.

It only uses cell networks if you tell it to use cell networks.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by From_Behind
You have to look at your settings. If your phone is set to use cell networks to augment its position, then it will sometimes lose itself when cell coverage is bad. If it's set to "GPS only", that won't happen.

It only uses cell networks if you tell it to use cell networks.
Mine is set to use both... I'll try it set to GPS only and see what happens.

Dang, who knew I could learn about my cell phone on a Harley forum?

Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Mine is set to use both... I'll try it set to GPS only and see what happens.

Dang, who knew I could learn about my cell phone on a Harley forum?
LMAO - I doubt that there are ANY Harley discussions over at Android Central. 😆

Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM
QNman
Supporter

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Now that made me LOL..... That thread would be like crickets in the night.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

To wrap this up from my side: I ordered a garmin and already had a mount but when the garmin arrived, it didn't fit. I didn't have time to get the proper mount so I ended up buying the map upgrade. I've read that other's have had issues so I expected trouble but it went without a hitch and I'm running windows as a VM within my MBP.

I also updated the Boom firmware to the latest. I reformatted my usb thumb drives and have not had the 'USB Reading...' issues so I'm really happy about that.

I'm now halfway through my east coast trip heading into NYC tomorrow. The maps and navigation have been spot on accurate so far. Having the garmin would have been nice but I'm just glad it's all working!

Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by merdahl

Oh, another helpful hint. Instead of shutting your ignition off at every stop, turn it to ACC. Keeps the GPS up and eliminates wait time.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:12 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
To wrap this up from my side: I ordered a garmin and already had a mount but when the garmin arrived, it didn't fit. I didn't have time to get the proper mount so I ended up buying the map upgrade. I've read that other's have had issues so I expected trouble but it went without a hitch and I'm running windows as a VM within my MBP.

I also updated the Boom firmware to the latest. I reformatted my usb thumb drives and have not had the 'USB Reading...' issues so I'm really happy about that.

I'm now halfway through my east coast trip heading into NYC tomorrow. The maps and navigation have been spot on accurate so far. Having the garmin would have been nice but I'm just glad it's all working!
Not sure if you're going into NYC/Manhattan or the outer boroughs but if you're going anywhere near these areas be careful, people around there drive with their head up their *****...and Long Island isn't much better!

The following users liked this post:
JGray16RGU (12-14-2018)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear

If you do ever run into that issue with the "USB reading" unpair your phone and I bet it goes away.

Quick Reply: boom map update or cheap garmin?