Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Rideplanner changes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1226325-rideplanner-changes.html)

cwsharp 05-03-2018 02:31 PM

I think it is much improved. I use a Garmin and there are some quirks with the gpx file but I just edit the file if I need to. I also have to use Googlemaps to find campgrounds and motels... so I have them open at the same time. There appears to be a bug if you have Googlemaps and Rideplanner both open in Chrome... Rideplanner crashes all the time. I just use Firefox for Googlemaps.

I really really like the fuel locations and the ability to travel along the route and get mileage traveled displayed as you go along. On long rides you can better plan finding gas before you're going to run out and you can select places to stay based upon the daily mileage that you are after.

hairymoth 05-03-2018 03:03 PM

Some people don't seem to like the upgrade, but it is much better and much more intuitive.
Waypoints were so bad, you had to ignore them and use destinations as waypoints. Now you can just grab the orange line, it creates a dot (way point automatically) and drag it to where you want it... I'm not sure yet but it may have gone from the worst I have used to the best... it appears to be much more responsive than others for long rides (i.e., many points).

harleyboy63401 05-03-2018 03:11 PM

My Garmin was so much easier but...I have a question...I have created routes and loaded them with no issue. My problem comes with not being at the exact starting point of my route. I mess around checking out local attractions then head out of town as planned( I already know what road I am after) but when I select that saved route it doesn't just pick me up and allow me to travel on. Always wants to return me to the beginning of the route! With Garmin I never had this issue...it would ask but if I said NO it just picked me up where I am....Make Sense?? Any help with this issue?

cwsharp 05-03-2018 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by harleyboy63401 (Post 17329675)
My Garmin was so much easier but...I have a question...I have created routes and loaded them with no issue. My problem comes with not being at the exact starting point of my route. I mess around checking out local attractions then head out of town as planned( I already know what road I am after) but when I select that saved route it doesn't just pick me up and allow me to travel on. Always wants to return me to the beginning of the route! With Garmin I never had this issue...it would ask but if I said NO it just picked me up where I am....Make Sense?? Any help with this issue?

i'm not sure what you are saying but I don't have the HD GPS. Garmin always asks for the most recent waypoint to start from... so what you describe is normal to me as long as it starts from where you are, assumes you are no longer at the starting point, and sends you to the next waypoint (ne' location).

DAVENRINO 05-03-2018 06:39 PM

Just skip waypoints till you are pointed toward one that is ahead of you one the same road. Go to the little square box with horizontal lines on the right side of the Nav screen and select "Skip Waypoint". You don't even have to know the name of the waypoints you want to skip. Just keep skipping the next wp until the map looks right.

Stache18 05-04-2018 06:14 AM

set a waypoint just outside town on the road you want to hit then skip waypoint on your start location.

royston 05-04-2018 06:38 AM

Anyone found the “Import ride” button - or am i just being hopeful?
Cheers

hairymoth 05-04-2018 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stache18 (Post 17331163)

... My problem comes with not being at the exact starting point of my route. I mess around checking out local attractions then head out of town as planned( I already know what road I am after) but when I select that saved route it doesn't just pick me up and allow me to travel on. Always wants to return me to the beginning of the route!

set a waypoint just outside town on the road you want to hit then skip waypoint on your start location.

I take it even a step further.. My first waypoint is the first point that I actually care about, i.e., usually the first road that I want to ride.. I just let the navigation direct me to that first way point. Sometimes that first point is 60 miles away.

harleyboy63401 05-04-2018 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by DAVENRINO (Post 17330176)
Just skip waypoints till you are pointed toward one that is ahead of you one the same road. Go to the little square box with horizontal lines on the right side of the Nav screen and select "Skip Waypoint". You don't even have to know the name of the waypoints you want to skip. Just keep skipping the next wp until the map looks right.

Never knew that...I will give it a shot!

DAVENRINO 05-04-2018 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by harleyboy63401 (Post 17332557)
Never knew that...I will give it a shot!

That drove me nuts when I first got the bike. The bitch kept telling me to do Uturns and interrupting my tunes. I had to turn off Nav prompts. I never did turn em back on. Other suggestions above are also good like setting the first wp you actually care about. This also happened when I first started using Rideplanner and didn't get the WP exactly on the road. That was the main reason I switched to Tyre and later My Route where any click near the road put the WP ON the road. You do still have to get it in the correct direction of travel but easy enough to just favor that side when you click on the map. Good Luck.