Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2014-2023 Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models-177/)
-   -   Rideplanner changes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2014-2023-touring-models/1226325-rideplanner-changes.html)

hattitude 05-07-2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by royston (Post 17331221)
Anyone found the “Import ride” button - or am i just being hopeful?
Cheers

If you're talking about Harley Ride Planner.....

I used to "import ride" on my Garmin Road Tech GPS, but that has all changed...

Now you have to download a GPX file and then upload it to your GPS with a thumb drive or other media...

MilesOfTexas 05-08-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by hattitude (Post 17341607)
If you're talking about Harley Ride Planner.....

I used to "import ride" on my Garmin Road Tech GPS, but that has all changed...

Now you have to download a GPX file and then upload it to your GPS with a thumb drive or other media...

I think he may have been talking about the Ride Planner. The previous Ride Planner would let you import a route. Didn't work worth a damn, but it would let you do it.

hattitude 05-08-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas (Post 17342292)
I think he may have been talking about the Ride Planner. The previous Ride Planner would let you import a route. Didn't work worth a damn, but it would let you do it.

That's what I was trying to say... it no longer lets you import, but it used to....

I never had a problem importing routes to my RoadTech Garmin.... it was too easy.... sorry to see they changed the process....

zoozoo 05-09-2018 02:00 PM

royston 05-12-2018 01:44 AM

sorry Guys - I should have explained in more detail - my struggle was finding a way to import a route back into rideplanner so that it could be changed amended.....
all the best

hattitude 05-12-2018 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by royston (Post 17353201)
sorry Guys - I should have explained in more detail - my struggle was finding a way to import a route back into rideplanner so that it could be changed amended.....
all the best

Did you delete it?

When I make a route, then export it to a usb drive, so I can import it into my bike, the original stays on the ride planner site....

cycle7447 05-13-2018 09:58 AM

I have been looking at the new ride planner and while I had gotten use to the older one, I have to admit that I am a little lost here. I know you guys have talked about the import - but, I can't even find out how to delete some of my old rides.
I did a search and found a link as to how to delete. This came up with Law Abiding Biker -and the guy said he had completely reviewed the new planner and suggested that he has done all the work and has all the answers. So, I went to his site - and found this.

First, bologna, Harley did announce there would be some changes coming. In the Harley officers meeting=gs, they told the officers - and they brought the info back to the HOG members.

Regardless - why say you have done this - if you haven't

Complete Harley Davidson Ride Planner & GPS Guide

By

Ryan Urlacher

Ryan Urlacher

Biker, podcaster, videographer, blogger, & entrepreneur.FollowFollow for updates on what Ryan Urlacher is creating.

***ATTENTION*** In early April 2018 Harley-Davidson w/o warning completely changed their online Ride Planner Software. It has many bugs and issues & we're giving it a little time. We are testing it thoroughly and creating a new and improved Ride Planner Tutorial Video based on the new interface and it will replace this one. Check back often!

cwsharp 05-13-2018 11:32 AM

I think we're all a bunch of old coots that don't like change, maybe?

I have never found Ride Planner to be that great but it was the best source to locate >current< dealers (since they are always in a state of flux it seems) and I like to know where they are on my trips (usually very long ones when I need to use Ride Planner). I complicate this fact by the fact that I have a Garmin GPS not an HD sponsored version of Garmin but fortunately I have learned how to fool with a gpx file and make it transfer more readily (they are XML format files).

What IS cool about the new Ride Planner that wasn't there before is that a. You can follow how many miles you have gone as you follow the route through each point of the ride (go to preview and move the slider at the bottom or click on the slider and use the arrow keys), Ride Planner will tell you the current temp along the route (or maybe it's the historical average for that day... no telling), and you can at least plan fuel stops (not all possible fuel locations are shown) with a 'safety' factor. I have to use, unfortunately, Google Maps, Ride Planner, and Base Camp to get everything I want.

Importing a Ride Planner gpx file into BaseCamp doesn't properly transfer the route as a whole... it uses each waypoint to waypoint route as a separate route. As for BaseCamp you can at least get stop to stop mileage this way but you have many, many routes on a long trip. There may be a way to edit the Ride Planner gpx file so that all the mini-routes are combined into one but I haven't spent any time checking this out yet. One way to improve this without fooling with the imported gpx file is to plan the trip in one day trips... but stops during the day would still create mini-routes it seems. This approach also makes working with time schedules awkward in BaseCamp.

Among these three, Google Maps gives you the most flexibility in manually modifying your automated route (drag the route to different roads) and does a better job of routing on non-highways (non-interstates) than BaseCamp does. Google also isn't nearly as picky about what gets located on the maps in terms of places you might want to stop.

The only solution to this whole mess is to write an app that uses Google Maps and that might be a reasonable approach if Google didn't continually make changes to their products... the effort of keeping up might be too much to deal with. The app also couldn't be done for distribution without some kind of arrangement with Google which I imagine would make it cost $. Garmin could easily pick up the gauntlet on this conundrum but I haven't really trusted their programming expertise from day one... and the cost to get a Garmin GPS that is waterproof etc. is pretty high... and I don't think that anyone has figured out how to make one of these units visible in direct sunlight... I guess you can ride off a cliff while trying to orient your Garmin so it is readable...

I am thinking about trying NuShield film... has anyone tried this?

hairymoth 05-13-2018 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by hattitude (Post 17355168)

Originally Posted by royston (Post 17353201)
all the best

Did you delete it?
When I make a route, then export it to a usb drive, so I can import it into my bike, the original stays on the ride planner site....

I'm not sure about Roy, but I like the RidePlanner upgrade and would like to be able to import rides that I have created using other software.
I do repeat some of my rides, but I do tweak them before the re-do.

cycle7447 05-13-2018 07:24 PM

OK - feeling better. Decided to take a closer look - and yes, I can delete rides I don't want.

I was looking at My Rides instead of Saved Rides. My rides are bookmark - and, if you click on the white star on top, you can unbookmark those.

For the rides you want to delete, go to Saved Rides -and right on the bottom, it says delete.

Next thing I notices if Harley RP now works more like Honda. I tried using the add location and that seems to work better for me. Once the location is there, I can move it up or down - depending on where i want it. Export has not been a problem - just click on directions - and you will see the export feature. This works the same as in the past.