Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:09 PM
wevsspot
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 16" Ape Installation ?????

Hey guys.

My ride: 2015 Road Glide

Question: I currently have 13" Road6Customs standard apes on my ride. I was able to install these bars without any brake, clutch, TBW or switch extensions. Before this spring is over I'm planning on changing my bars to;

16" FMB Choppers PHATTY BLAZED handlebars
12" PHATTY BLAZED CUSTOM HANDLEBARS FOR 2015 and Up HARLEY ROAD, Harley Custom Handlebars- Custom ape hangers

OR 16" FMB Choppers MONSTER MAYHEM handle bars
12" MONSTER MAYHEM 1-1/2 BARS 2015 UP HARLEY ROAD GLIDE, Harley Custom Handlebars- Custom ape hangers

My question is specifically for you guys that have put 16" bars on your 2014+ Rushmore SGs or RGs. I'm going to order my Magnum Shielding brake and clutch lines and I'm trying to determine what lengths I need for each. I contacted Magnum and the CS agent told me I'd have to measure. I explained to her that I can't measure with the new bars yet because I don't have them yet. I want all of the clutch, brake and electrical extensions in hand before I start the project so that I can complete it in one day and not impact my riding days that much.

I have the options of;
+2" (which for all purposes I don't think will be enough based on what I see with my current 13" bars)
+4" (which based on some back tracking detective work on Magnum Shielding's website appears to be the length in the kits they sell for specific height bars / bikes)
+6" (I currently have a Magnum Shielding 31" upper brake line already installed and it is way too long for my 13" bars and think I'll still have too much slack even with my 16" bars)

So if anyone can tell me what you used for your 16" bar installations I'd greatly appreciate it. Again, please don't tell me to measure. The lead time on the bars is 7-10 days because of powder coating, and the lead time on the Magnum Shielding cables is 3-4 days. If I can't get in the ball park I'm down at least 1 1/2 weeks if not longer waiting on bars & measurements.

Thanks a bunch.

As a side note........... Curious as to what the community thinks about each of the bars I'm mulling over. I know it's my ride, so most everyone is probably going to say "pick what you like". But in this case I'm having a hard time deciding because both of the bars I'm looking at really strike my fancy.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 660 Posts

I would try asking the manufacturer. Im sure they would know what it takes to get their bars on a bike they made their bars for.

Old 04-03-2018, 10:28 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jshopes
I would try asking the manufacturer. Im sure they would know what it takes to get their bars on a bike they made their bars for.
That is way too smart a solution for me.......

Honestly I feel like a dumba&& for not thinking of that. I'll give it a go.

Thank you.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:29 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 660 Posts

I bought 16s for my 01 flhr and it took me a few weeks to think of it. I spent way too much time trying to research what length cables to buy. Then i forgot amd had to start over and figured hell, wild1 made the things, they oughta know what it takes to get them on. I think the whole phonecall was 2 minutes.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:16 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

I did reach out to David B. at FMB yesterday evening and asked about hydraulic line length. Get this, he sent me a reply at 11:30PM last night. Gotta love that.

He recommended +4 on the brake and clutch, so I'm going to follow his guidance.

Thanks for refocusing me!

Old 04-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FMB Choppers MONSTER MAYHEM handle bars

These are sick! I might get some of these in 12

Old 04-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,947 Likes on 6,957 Posts

That will be a nice project. Keep us posted!

Old 04-05-2018, 02:57 PM
wevsspot
Tourer

Originally Posted by Djcamis
FMB Choppers MONSTER MAYHEM handle bars
These are sick! I might get some of these in 12
Yep, it was a tough call. I've done three installs now using FMB bars, and all but the #2 install went off without a hitch. The Monster Mayhems were the first of his recently released bars that caught my eye. Then I stumbled across the Phattys. Every time I hit their website I kept getting drawn back to the Phattys.......

The final decision was made last night when I was showing my better half the two bars I had narrowed my search down to. She said that of the two the Phattys were "ME".

Ordered them in 16" Satin Black earlier this morning. I was gonna wait, but David offered to refund my shipping if I got my order in. So that's what I did. Saved me $28 bucks

Only a drop in the bucket in the overall cost, but it was a little thing that helped me feel better about dropping coin on another set of bars.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Road6 Standard Apes I've had on my bike since not long after purchase, but I was just ready to try something new.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:58 AM
Djcamis
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wevsspot
Absolutely nothing wrong with Road6 Standard Apes I've had on my bike since not long after purchase, but I was just ready to try something new.
Yup I love the bars, but they just aren't as "pretty" as some other ones. Might go to these!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 AM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Very Noice

Quick Reply: 16" Ape Installation ?????