Sponsored by:

Need help with rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Need help with rear suspension

Recently on a bike trip to the Tail of the Dragon, I experienced some bouncing from the rear suspension. On Hwy 28 along the river there's some fast sweepers and the road is a little rough. Coming out of the turns I would feel the bike's rear bouncing but if I gave it full throttle it would settle down. I have Progressive 412's for rear shocks and only has 5 position for preload. Dose this sound like a dampening or rebounding issue? Or what are your thoughts? BTW I'm riding fast, and do scrape floorboards on some sweepers!

Last edited by dave the welder; 06-04-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,855 Likes on 6,927 Posts

OP that is exactly what I was wanting to get rid of with the stock air suspension. I do not see that at all now with the Pro-Action coil overs. I which I could answer your question, but they set them up for me and I have not touched them since. I am sure DK or others will know the answer. I hope you get them dialed in.

P.S. I really like your signature tag line!

The following users liked this post:
dave the welder (06-05-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
Recently on a bike trip to the Tail of the Dragon, I experienced some bouncing from the rear suspension. On Hwy 28 along the river there's some fast sweepers and the road is a little rough. Coming out of the turns I would feel the bike's rear bouncing but if I gave it full throttle it would settle down. I have Progressive 412's for rear shocks and only has 5 position for preload. Dose this sound like a dampening or rebounding issue? Or what are your thoughts? BTW I'm riding fast, and do scrape floorboards on some sweepers!
Yes it does. Damping & rebound are both controlled by the valving in the shock. Too bad neither are able to be adjusted on the shocks you have.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,415 Likes on 3,311 Posts

You would benefit from better shocks for sure...these issues would be a thing of the past.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:00 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
ProAction has a great video on how the rear shock works and setting it up. And if you call they are awesome to deal with. Truth is you get what you pay for and you bought a junk shock,been there done that,Not trying to offend anyone.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:14 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

The 412s are a budget "stock replacement" quality shock. Better than stock for sure but not a premium shock. I doubt they provide the chassis control of a higher quality shock.

You might also be experiencing some flex due to the rubber mounted motor. I installed one of these and it really stabilized the bike in fast corners. https://www.alloyart.com/bagger/tour...-09-to-present

Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 AM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Thans for all the feed back, I'll give Pro Action a call.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
The 412s are a budget "stock replacement" quality shock. Better than stock for sure but not a premium shock. I doubt they provide the chassis control of a higher quality shock.

You might also be experiencing some flex due to the rubber mounted motor. I installed one of these and it really stabilized the bike in fast corners. https://www.alloyart.com/bagger/tour...-09-to-present
When I first got this bike I was certain some sort of stabilizer was needed when hitting the twisties and sweepers. After upgrading front and rear suspension, their is no need. It would be interesting to try one though. Perhaps a very small benefit exists but can only be realized after installing a stabilizer.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,855 Likes on 6,927 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
When I first got this bike I was certain some sort of stabilizer was needed when hitting the twisties and sweepers. After upgrading front and rear suspension, their is no need. It would be interesting to try one though. Perhaps a very small benefit exists but can only be realized after installing a stabilizer.
Interesting you brought up this point. I put a stabilizer on a 2008 FLHX and while it did help some it was not a fix. Like I have said several times now on these suspension / shock threads, if I knew 10 years ago what I know now the very first money I would have spent over exhaust, tuners, chrome or any other accessory would have been on PREMIUM TUNED SUSPENSION.

Until you try it you will not believe it. I am sure it would have had a more positive impact over handling than the stabilizer.

I'm excited about doing the front end this winter. Just don't want to rush the riding season too fast!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 06-05-2018 at 06:59 PM.
tbob (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Give Howard at Motorcycle Metal in Davie Fl a call. He's a forum sponsor and will set you up right.

Quick Reply: Need help with rear suspension