Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Ultra Limited Fork Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Well I run the Screaming Eagle fork oil which is supposedly heavier. Those with more suspension experience may be able to recommend their preference. Also do some online research. But be careful and take with a grain of salt. I've seen automatic transmission fluid recommended, which may work, but no thanks. I want the bottle to say "fork oil".

Also consider some Progressive fork inserts. I've heard they can be a bit harsh, but for a heavier rider, maybe not. I don't think they cost too much.

Lastly - **** cancer. As I get older it affects more people I know. I'm hopping on my bike in 1 hour to ride to Denver to visit my sister who just told me she has breast cancer. My thoughts will, no doubt, turn to you and others affected. I wish you the very best.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply, can't say I have heard of ATF in forks, I might possibly consider it in the transmission since the clutch isn't lubed but same oil. I am leaning towards Amsoil for all three holes. (I used to run ATF in my Yamaha 350s, being two stroke and no combustion acids as long as the clutch felt good and needed little adjustment I didn't change it. To be honest I think the only time I changed it is when I split the case to rebuild the crank once and again to straighten a shift fork and undercut the drive dogs into a trapezoid shape narrowest at the base so when shifting the drive dogs on the transmission gears would assist in locking themselves together) I did dig into Progressive, which is why I purchased Ohlins. I have been seeing some good reviews on 15 wt. I am under the impression that SE is closer to 10 but I could be miss quoting. With a little more research I may gravitate to Bel Ray 15 wt but not cast in stone. And as much as I love the Blue Mule I have read there is a fire breathing two stroke coming out of Europe. Vins Motors Duecinquanta, its a 250, it weights 209 pounds and pumps out 70 horse, could be a really fun toy to add to the stable. Heck, I could tow it with the Blue Mule then park it and ride the Vins when peg dragging fever hits. https://www.cyclenews.com/2017/12/ar...ike-back-baby/ Thanks much for the good wishes.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I should be clear about my post as the first response in this thread. There was another thread a while back about doing a fork oil change and it was suggested by a few to remove that hidden damper bolt to drain and refill the fork so there wasn’t the messing around with the top cap and spring, also not needing to measure the air space when replacing the oil.

I explained that it wasn’t the correct procedure and it was just a shortcut that wouldn’t save that much time. Wow did I catch some **** for explaining that.

So this time around I just laid out the basics. If anyone wants to do it that way, go right ahead, but doing it correctly isn’t that much more work

Old 09-26-2018, 06:06 PM
XTonerman
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply but something interesting came up. The person from Jims replied and said that there is an actual measured amount of 24 ounces for each fork. I asked where he got this information and the reply was from Harley Davidson. I found a Rushmore Road Glide thread where 24 oz is called but does recommend the tool. So my next step before I spend any money is when I am at the next HOG chapter meeting duck into service and see what they say.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:18 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts
Default 24 oz per fork

The following users liked this post:
50pannmore (07-21-2022)
Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 AM
XTonerman
Intermediate

Wow, how could I have been so blind. I wonder how often one has to add or remove. On the other hand, you could pull the dash back, pop the caps and calculate the angle. You wouldn't need the special fill tool, I could use my vac bleeder to help it out but caps off would pretty much take care of that too.

Again, Thank you so much for pointing out my blindness.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by XTonerman
Wow, how could I have been so blind. I wonder how often one has to add or remove. On the other hand, you could pull the dash back, pop the caps and calculate the angle. You wouldn't need the special fill tool, I could use my vac bleeder to help it out but caps off would pretty much take care of that too.

Again, Thank you so much for pointing out my blindness.
And remove the handle bars to get to the cap. Or just pull the forks out.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:39 PM
Boolean Guru
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Plow64 You'r a legend!!

Originally Posted by Plow64
You'll need an extended reach 12mm hex bit socket for the lower fork leg drain plugs.
And a 19mm hex bit socket (or allen wrench) for the top end of the fork tube. Apparently a 3/4" hex bit socket works too.
These are discoveries I made when installing Axeo Legend cartridges a few months ago on my '15 Ultra Ltd.

This video is helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBEFL-tn9BI

You saved me so much frustration. I soaked in allot of misinformation when it came to the top nut on my 14 ultra limited forks. Because after removing the shocks, so I could install a cartridge kit, I found the big *** hex head instead of a head fitting the tool I bought lol.. Then I found this post from 2018. So I ran to the store and got the right chit!! Good info never gets old!! TY!! U the man!