Issues with security system

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 02:05 PM
Msanossian
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with security system

Bike: 2020 Fat Boy 30th Anniversary

Recently (winter) the bike has started to act up. With the fob nowhere near the bike, I flip the ignition switch and it activates the electrical system (lights, fuel pump, everything except the starter).

When I grab the fob and stand next to the bike, the same thing happens. Everything turns on except the starter when I push it. After a few minutes and a few power cycles, the bike will recognize the fob and start when I press the starter. When I turn off the bike, the security system will engage and operate normally for a few minutes (asking for a PIN if I don’t have the fob nearby). After a few minutes the security light will stop blinking and I can start the electrical again without the fob and security pin..

Ive changed the battery in my fob, checked the voltage of the battery (12.9v), disconnected the battery and reconnected it. Going a little crazy and I feel like this is a simple fix but I don’t know what it is..

any suggestions would be helpful!

Old 01-19-2024, 02:12 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,636 Likes on 6,923 Posts

Congratulations on your first post to HDF, to the Forum.

1. Did you buy the bike new?
2. If you did not buy it new, did the previous owner have 2 fobs and hide one on the bike.
3. Electrical interference somewhere may be causing the issue.
4. Any new electronic devices or change to electronic devices recently.
5. Take the bike somewhere away from the garage and see if the same issue is present.
6. Check the connections to the security system and the antenna.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 01-19-2024 at 02:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Msanossian (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 02:48 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 756 Likes on 283 Posts

Technique:

Sometimes when the battery is replaced, or low in the FOB, there is some residual resistance in the capacitor of the FOB that goobers things up. An easy fix is to remove the FOB battery and get a small wire. Touch the wire to the + and - of the FOB. This will zero out the FOB and all should work well.

I went through three or four batteries in my FOB because I kept getting the “low FOB battery” warning in my speedo. A buddy of mine that works with house alarm systems said to try this on the FOB, and it worked!

I miss kick starters and carbs…….

The following users liked this post:
Since 1968 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 03:00 PM
Msanossian
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DeeRoe
Technique:

Sometimes when the battery is replaced, or low in the FOB, there is some residual resistance in the capacitor of the FOB that goobers things up. An easy fix is to remove the FOB battery and get a small wire. Touch the wire to the + and - of the FOB. This will zero out the FOB and all should work well.

I went through three or four batteries in my FOB because I kept getting the “low FOB battery” warning in my speedo. A buddy of mine that works with house alarm systems said to try this on the FOB, and it worked!

I miss kick starters and carbs…….
Thank you! Though I don’t get a low fob warning on the speedometer - I’m forced to believe it’s an issue with the bike because without the fob around I can start the electrical when flipping the system to “run”. It will do everything but start

Old 01-19-2024, 03:47 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,636 Likes on 6,923 Posts

Originally Posted by Msanossian
Thank you! Though I don’t get a low fob warning on the speedometer - I’m forced to believe it’s an issue with the bike because without the fob around I can start the electrical when flipping the system to “run”. It will do everything but start
This is normal if you do not have an alarm on the bike, it just sets the security system but lights etc will come on and not start. Does it ask you for the PIN when it does this?

The security system only disables the starting function and sounds the alarm if one is present on the system, it does not affect the lights or gauges except to show you that you need to enter the PIN. Your turn signals should flash though.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:55 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,656 Likes on 5,191 Posts

Do not laugh some net works and or security systems interfere with the fob. Try moving the bike away from where it is parked.

HD dealership had a spot right by the shop entrance door where Fobs would not work . It happen a lot. Not every time but often. roll the bike a bit in or out worked fine.

Old 01-19-2024, 04:58 PM
Vec
Road Master

Received 473 Likes on 266 Posts

Welcome from Texas
12.9 on the battery sounds odd 🤔

Old 01-19-2024, 06:03 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,959 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
This is normal if you do not have an alarm on the bike, it just sets the security system but lights etc will come on and not start. Does it ask you for the PIN when it does this?

The security system only disables the starting function and sounds the alarm if one is present on the system, it does not affect the lights or gauges except to show you that you need to enter the PIN. Your turn signals should flash though.
The only thing my 2020 Heritage Classic does is the security light flashes fast and the LED lights up asking for the PIN. No fuel pump prime, no lights, no turn signals flashing and no gauges. I do not have an audible alarm.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 01-19-2024 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:13 PM
Msanossian
3rd Gear

I have a 2020 Fat Boy and the security system came with it from factory. No siren, but flashing lights and pin (if it’s working properly). When I go to start the bike, I flip the switch to run (lights turn on and fuel pump engages) and press the ignition but nothing would happen. No clicking or turning over. After a few power cycles, the bike will start. After the bike has started and I turn it off, the security system activates as it should. If I were to remove the fobs immediately after shutting it off and try to start it again, the bike would ask for a PIN. After about 10 minutes, I can leave the fobs inside and then flip the ignition on again but this time, it doesn’t ask for a PIN.., lights, fuel pump, everything but the starter will work. When I turn it off (again without the fob) the security system does not activate (no blinking security light on the speedometer). I can move the bike and the lights will not flash, and continue to turn on the electrical all without the fob. I have a pin set on the bike, but it’s not asking for it.

only after grabbing the fob and cycling the power a few times will it finally initiate the starter and fire up without issue. Battery on the bike is fully charged and I just replaced the battery in the fob as well yet the issue persists.

Im about to give up and take it to the dealership to have them look at the security system.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:18 PM
Msanossian
3rd Gear

Congratulations on your first post to HDF, to the Forum.

1. Did you buy the bike new?
2. If you did not buy it new, did the previous owner have 2 fobs and hide one on the bike.
3. Electrical interference somewhere may be causing the issue.
4. Any new electronic devices or change to electronic devices recently.
5. Take the bike somewhere away from the garage and see if the same issue is present.
6. Check the connections to the security system and the antenna.

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.
thank you, I can find the antenna no problem and its connection looks good. But where is the security system located on a 2020 FatBoy?

also, I’ve done everything you suggested except moving the bike to another location (Currently 10 degrees outside). Issue still persists. I’ve included a more detailed explanation below:

I have a 2020 Fat Boy and the security system came with it from factory. No siren, but flashing lights and pin (if it’s working properly). When I go to start the bike, I flip the switch to run (lights turn on and fuel pump engages) and press the ignition but nothing would happen. No clicking or turning over. After a few power cycles, the bike will start. After the bike has started and I turn it off, the security system activates as it should. If I were to remove the fobs immediately after shutting it off and try to start it again, the bike would ask for a PIN. After about 10 minutes, I can leave the fobs inside and then flip the ignition on again but this time, it doesn’t ask for a PIN.., lights, fuel pump, everything but the starter will work. When I turn it off (again without the fob) the security system does not activate (no blinking security light on the speedometer). I can move the bike and the lights will not flash, and continue to turn on the electrical all without the fob. I have a pin set on the bike, but it’s not asking for it.

only after grabbing the fob and cycling the power a few times will it finally initiate the starter and fire up without issue. Battery on the bike is fully charged and I just replaced the battery in the fob as well yet the issue persists.

Quick Reply: Issues with security system