Sponsored by:

Buffeting....still

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Buffeting....still

I have the 7" FastAire Windscreen and the Fugly Fangs (from Harley) and I am still getting buffeting with a Bell Pit Boss Helmet at around 60MPH. Don't get me wrong, it's been reduced a BUNCH but still get enough to not like it.

Any ideas for the next step? I was looking at two longer windshields, the LSR and the Windsplitter. I like the Windsplitter due to the sides extending beyond the stock edge, I think that could offer additional help with buffeting but I don't want to create a complete wind free zone. It's hot in Texas most of the year and I want to be able to get some relief. My batwing does have a vent, not sure if that is enough or not due to the fact that I have never felt it with all the wind coming over the windshield.

Plus, I have been hit in the face a few times by large bugs...kinda would like that to stop.

So, LSR or Windsplitter or ???

BTW, at this point, money is not of any concern, I just want the issue resolved so I can get down to adding miles on this beautiful bike.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I was under the impression that the fairing vent was to reduce back pressure behind the windshield and thus reduce buffeting...not be a cooling vent for the rider?

Do you have the have the wind deflector that goes in between your fork tubes...under the fairing? If not that will reduce wind coming up from under the fairing.

Last edited by Pumba11; 06-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough to say. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but only the tallest wind splitter extends wider on the fairing. My 7" does not. My buffeting is minimal and tolerable unless it's a crosswind, and there's nothing you can do there. I'd be curious if the fairing deflectors like the ones on the Ultras would help at all.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Do you have the have the wind deflector that goes in between your fork tubes...under the fairing? If not that will reduce wind coming up from under the fairing.
I don't think one is available yet, at least not from HD. Remember they changed the fork size, so the other one will not fit. It would be a nice stealthy addition though.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:34 PM
Wayne Carlton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a car
just saying

Old 06-05-2014, 12:46 PM
bzb123
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I ended up with the 7" LRS but didn't like the way it looked or the gap it left between it and the 3 pouch bag.

I put the stock 5" back on and I am happy now.

I do have the Ultra wings, fangs, and lowers (with speakers) so that might have cured a bunch of the buffeting.

I think the best cure is the C&C fastback seat the moved me down 1.75" and back 2"

Just an opinion

Attached Thumbnails Buffeting....still-100_1977.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 12:56 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Is this your first bike? Have you ridden before. Buffeting is almost nil on the 2014. I just have it in high winds. No ugly fork fangs either. You do know you are not riding in a Lexus and there will ALWAYS be some wind.

I have my stock one on but will add a 7" freedom shield to my bike mainly for the gap issue

Old 06-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a 7" & a 10" LRS shield and have no buffeting with either until I put my feet on the highway pegs from 70+. This is on a street glide with stock and/or sundowner seat.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Cattle-Dog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely leave the vent open, as it's function is to reduce buffeting. I don't have a rushmore SG (yet), but I replaced my RKC windshield with a Recurve windshield. It made a noticeable difference and I notice they are available for the 2014's as well:

http://www.clearviewshields.com/moto...ed-windshield/

Old 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
Dave Thorpe
Road Captain

I think if you go with any 10" recurve you're gonna be okay. I prefer Freedom Shield, and they are a little wider on the sides than most...they don't taper in quite as steeply and even buldge out a little. That makes a big difference in side buffeting.

Quick Reply: Buffeting....still