Sponsored by:

Question regarding the Hammock touring seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Question regarding the Hammock touring seat

I have a 14 Limited that I'm seriously considering the heated Hammock. I am looking to improve my long haul comfort, my stock seat starts to hurt after2 or 3 hours in the saddle. Those that have installed the Hammock; did it stop the seat pain while riding most of the day, just stopping for gas? or is the primary benefit to reduce the impact of harsh bumps in the road?

Considering the heated Hammock cost I don't want to buy the wrong saddle.

Thank you

Old 07-11-2014, 11:51 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have two heated hammock seats. The first one was on my 09 Ultra and love the heat and the wife approves of her seat area, that matters a lot. I liked it enough that I bought a 14 take off CVO heated hammock seat for my 14 limited. Wife approves. Longest day in that saddle for me was 780 miles and I still wanted to keep going but my friend was cold and tuckered. We had a gas stop ever hundred miles or so. Heat really helps.

But since we are all built differently why not try the Harley demo? I have seen the seats at the dealer with DEMO printed all over them just for us to try before we by.

The Hammock seat isn't a low seat, so definitely try one for fit.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a Hammock on my '13 and purchased a Sunray Heated at time of purchase, wish now I had paid a little more for the Heated Hammock assuming the heated is the same ride as the no heated

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Nothing beats the Road Zepplin air seat for comfortable 500-700 mile days in the saddle.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm probably in the minority, but I have found that HD's stock seats work well after they are broke in. My 14 ultra classic seat pained me after less than an hour when I first got it. However, after using it for over 2 or 3k miles, I road 17 hrs straight from Vegas to Northern ID and the seat worked great. Worst seats I have ridden on have been BMW seats; pure torture!! Before HD's I used to use Corbins on my bikes (but even they couldn't do magic on a BMW RT!). Anyway, my advice is to use the stock seat for at least 5k miles before deciding that it needs to be changed; give 'em a chance to break in.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:38 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I don't believe anyone can decide for you, I had a hammock on my 11, liked it for like 1700 miles, then couldn't stand it, put on a Sundowner, and loved it, for 15,000 miles. Put a new sundowner on the 14, and so far, not what I expected, but seems to be getting better, after a few thousand miles, but not quite what I had on the 11, good luck finding the right one, can get $$$$, looking at Ultimates rt now

Old 07-11-2014, 02:12 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

The great thing about the Zepplin seat is you can readjust it infinitly so there is never a pressure point build up.
All static seats will eventually get uncomfortable - not the Zepplin.
Unless you can get a FULL REFUND on a seat after a few thousand miles, I'd spend the money and get the Zepplin seat. If after a few hundred miles it gets uncomfortable, just push one of the buttons and you have an entirely new seat.
Better then spending hundreds of dollars for a seat that you may eventually get tired of and then have to spend hundreds more for another seat and so on and so on.

I take mine off and put it on my next bike.

Harley has demo seats you can try out. I don't know how long they let you use it.

A seat is probably the hardest item to buy because it takes so long to really see if it's OK.

Good luck - and see if you can get a trial period - unlikely.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLYER
I have two heated hammock seats. The first one was on my 09 Ultra and love the heat and the wife approves of her seat area, that matters a lot. I liked it enough that I bought a 14 take off CVO heated hammock seat for my 14 limited. Wife approves. Longest day in that saddle for me was 780 miles and I still wanted to keep going but my friend was cold and tuckered. We had a gas stop ever hundred miles or so. Heat really helps.

But since we are all built differently why not try the Harley demo? I have seen the seats at the dealer with DEMO printed all over them just for us to try before we by.

The Hammock seat isn't a low seat, so definitely try one for fit.
You are a lucky man; finding a 14 CVO take off seat. New they are $$$$$$$. Did you change the passenger tour pak backrest? My dealer does not have a Hammock Demo seat, they offered to pull a new one for me to sit on and I may take them up on the offer. Thank you very much for your feedback

Old 07-11-2014, 04:15 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
The great thing about the Zepplin seat is you can readjust it infinitly so there is never a pressure point build up.
All static seats will eventually get uncomfortable - not the Zepplin.
Unless you can get a FULL REFUND on a seat after a few thousand miles, I'd spend the money and get the Zepplin seat. If after a few hundred miles it gets uncomfortable, just push one of the buttons and you have an entirely new seat.
Better then spending hundreds of dollars for a seat that you may eventually get tired of and then have to spend hundreds more for another seat and so on and so on.

I take mine off and put it on my next bike.

Harley has demo seats you can try out. I don't know how long they let you use it.

A seat is probably the hardest item to buy because it takes so long to really see if it's OK.

Good luck - and see if you can get a trial period - unlikely.
The Road Zeppelin seat for the 2014 models ( 52000152 ) looks like a slimed down model of the old Road Zeppelin. The seat width is actually smaller than the OE seat on my 14 Limited. The second concern is a lack of heat. Harley shows the seat as a Low-Profile Road Zeppelin seat.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...seat---touring

I appreciate the feedback, thank you

Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Yukon42
I'm probably in the minority, but I have found that HD's stock seats work well after they are broke in. My 14 ultra classic seat pained me after less than an hour when I first got it. However, after using it for over 2 or 3k miles, I road 17 hrs straight from Vegas to Northern ID and the seat worked great. Worst seats I have ridden on have been BMW seats; pure torture!! Before HD's I used to use Corbins on my bikes (but even they couldn't do magic on a BMW RT!). Anyway, my advice is to use the stock seat for at least 5k miles before deciding that it needs to be changed; give 'em a chance to break in.
I have 3200 on my OE seat. Feels great the first hour or so, then the pain starts to build. Several hours later I am ready to get off the bike. Hoping to get rid of the pain so that I can ride non stop between fuel stops. I appreciate your replay, thank you

Quick Reply: Question regarding the Hammock touring seat