Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lets see the Apes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM
kipd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look of the 12" Yaffe Monkey bars. Can someone that has them tell me how the pullback is? I'm 5'9 and with my mustang solo seat i am almost straight armed and a bit uncomfortable with the stock bars. I do have apes on a softail and love apes in general, but before i spend that much money i would love to hear they have more pullback than stock.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kipd
I like the look of the 12" Yaffe Monkey bars. Can someone that has them tell me how the pullback is? I'm 5'9 and with my mustang solo seat i am almost straight armed and a bit uncomfortable with the stock bars. I do have apes on a softail and love apes in general, but before i spend that much money i would love to hear they have more pullback than stock.
My 12" YMB are about 3" back from the windshield. Being 5'7"... I understand your concern. They do not have a lot of pullback to them... very close to stock if there is any. With them pushed forward, I was also forward and way too much. After one day of riding, I made the adjustment and now it's all good. All you have to do is loosen the bar clamp bolts and move the bars where you want them and tighten. A slight rotation on hand controls might be necessary... it was for me.

One thing I did notice.... with the bars all the way forward, you can still use the lower half of the fairing mirrors. Once I pulled them back to where I needed them... it rendered the mirrors useless.

I have looked for numbers giving the pullback and never found any....

Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 AM
kipd
Tourer

Originally Posted by tgrisko
My 12" YMB are about 3" back from the windshield. Being 5'7"... I understand your concern. They do not have a lot of pullback to them... very close to stock if there is any. With them pushed forward, I was also forward and way too much. After one day of riding, I made the adjustment and now it's all good. All you have to do is loosen the bar clamp bolts and move the bars where you want them and tighten. A slight rotation on hand controls might be necessary... it was for me.

One thing I did notice.... with the bars all the way forward, you can still use the lower half of the fairing mirrors. Once I pulled them back to where I needed them... it rendered the mirrors useless.

I have looked for numbers giving the pullback and never found any....

thanks for the response, can you tell me, is this picture taken with the bars already rotated back to where you like? or is this before you made the adjustment?

Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kipd
thanks for the response, can you tell me, is this picture taken with the bars already rotated back to where you like? or is this before you made the adjustment?
you can also look into the vindiktas bars. they have a much higher pullback (think it was 7 or maybe 9 inches).

Old 11-11-2014, 03:47 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

JiXeR where the Pics. No Pics it wasn't done.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:51 PM
BlackTez
Cruiser
Default Vindikta’s are in

My 12” Vindikta’s just arrived. Went to the dealer to get new grips and the parts guy was nice enough to suggest I buy new bushing, so I did along with HD control wire extensions.

Are these bushings difficult to replace? Would you say its necessary for these bars being pretty substantial in weight. And I don’t have a lift for much maneuvering.

Wish me luck. First timer here.

Name:  20141204_085841.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  20141205_105850.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  22.0 KB

Old 12-08-2014, 12:58 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going mini apes (12") on my custom Street 750 rigid frame chopper build. The photo below is actually of Dime City mini ape hangers that I purchased just to see how they looked and fit on the stock Street 750 but I'll be having custom handle bars made for the actual chopper. Dime City's are cheap "made in China" bars and I'm not using anything that isn't "Made in the USA" (excluding some of the Harley components) on my chopper project.

Name:  lightandbars_zpscab94272.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  12.2 KB

Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTez
My 12” Vindikta’s just arrived. Went to the dealer to get new grips and the parts guy was nice enough to suggest I buy new bushing, so I did along with HD control wire extensions. Are these bushings difficult to replace? Would you say its necessary for these bars being pretty substantial in weight. And I don’t have a lift for much maneuvering. Wish me luck. First timer here.
I ended up having to trim mine for some reason. Can't remember specifics on where, but they did not just drop right in, even tho they were the ones the dealer looked up as my '14 needing. Let me know if you have clearance issues with your clamps at the bar welds. I did.

The following users liked this post:
Katdan (10-19-2016)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Rodney54
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlackTez
My 12” Vindikta’s just arrived. Went to the dealer to get new grips and the parts guy was nice enough to suggest I buy new bushing, so I did along with HD control wire extensions.

Are these bushings difficult to replace? Would you say its necessary for these bars being pretty substantial in weight. And I don’t have a lift for much maneuvering.

Wish me luck. First timer here.
How long are the wire extensions they sold you? I couldn't get the extensions to pull through the bars so I ended up cutting the connectors and soldering them together. Best thing I can recommend is take your time and don't force the wires. Also go to your local electrical shop and buy some wire lube, this stuff works!!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Finally installed mine today. Fishing the all the wires was a real bitch, TWB, switch wires and heated grips. All in, it took me about 8.5 hrs (including a lunch break and clean up), working at an easy pace.

I still am not sure what my permanent solution for mirrors will be. (I don't think I like the way my stock mirrors look on the 12s. A little high for my taste, and I don't care for the under the bar mirror look either. Anyone what's involved in mounting fairing mounted mirrors on a CVO? (There is no holes in the fairing for them.)

I also need to do a little additional brake/clutch line routing to clean them up a bit.

I am also looking for a mirror replacement option
One is the Windshield mount like these http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/221...ounted-mirrors

But Im not sure if they will work with the 12 inch bars

Quick Reply: lets see the Apes!