Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install after market exhaust or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Anoldtimer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install after market exhaust or not?

I bought a new 2014 Street Glide last month. My previous ride was a 1996 Road King, which I bought new. Did some performance upgrades on the RK, exhaust, carb, cam, ignition module etc. This Rushmore Street Glide is way superior to the RK, in stock condition. I am actually enjoying the quiet, listening to tunes, a new experience from the loud one I had for 17 years. The difference in power is a lot. So, the question is, what performance mods to make, if any. I don't want a loud exhaust, mid 90 to 100, 110 DBS. So what header, slip on's gives good sound and performance?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:31 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

110 dBs? Yikes. I think you would want to shoot for something on the low end of your range. If you keep the head pipes stock, then you will be safe with all choices. FuelMoto is posting performance and sound results/clips here from different configurations on a new RG they just acquired.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM
CoachKG
Advanced

I recently went from a RK to a SG also. Love the Boom Audio Infotainment system on the '14 and wanted to hear the tunes. So I went with V&H Monster Oval slip-ons from Eastern Performance. They were a breeze to install, look great and sound much better than stock.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Cannons will improve tone while only slightly elevating volume....if you're looking for something more than stock. Can still hear music just fine.

Last edited by Shep68; 09-18-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:57 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I got a set of ebay of bassani mufflers and de catted my head pipe. I would suggest either a decatted head pipe with factory mufflers first cause it is a lil bit louder then normal but still not bad as far as noise levels go. Then i wanted a slight bit more and found these for under 300 bucks slightly used so i got them. Im happy with the sound and just installed a FuelMoto Microtuner last night made it a bit deeper. Loving the bike and new sounds of it. Big sucker is on its way as i type. For those who worry about the cross talk of the stock pipes being decatted the microtuner doesnt use the O2 sensors anymore so they can actually be taken out. Im not looking for every bit of speed or optimum performance out of it just a good running sounding bike and i got it.

Batman

Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Uberjason
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I went with Street cannons myself, love the zero drone when cruising, I can hear the tunes clearly going above posted speeds, but snap that throttle and and it make everyone's neck twist. Loud pipes may not save lives, but they tend to get you thru blind intersections, and the I've-gotta-call-my-friends-to-tell-them-I'm-driving morons. Your local HD dealer may have a demo unit you can try before you buy.

-Uberjason

Old 09-17-2014, 02:17 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Uberjason
I went with Street cannons myself, love the zero drone when cruising, I can hear the tunes clearly going above posted speeds, but snap that throttle and and it make everyone's neck twist. Loud pipes may not save lives, but they tend to get you thru blind intersections, and the I've-gotta-call-my-friends-to-tell-them-I'm-driving morons. Your local HD dealer may have a demo unit you can try before you buy.

-Uberjason
I want to second this post. HD street cannons work great. I am very happy with sound. Plus they keep warranty OK and smog legal. Stamped EPA compliment on the bottom. You won't have a problem with any of the areas cracking down on exh. Issues like Denver. IMO, work well with stock headers, stage one air cleaner and flash. All warranty approved.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:43 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,866 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Just get rid of the cat!
This might be enough of a change for you without going further into it.
You'll get rid of the extra heat too.
Any mufflers you put on is a waste anyway unless you get rid of the cat.
I like the clean quiet running also for a touring bike, why beat yourself up?
If you do a stage 1 with loud mufflers you'll be wondering why because all
you get is a couple of horsepower and a bunch of noise.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM
atl fahrer
Cruiser

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

^^^this^^^

Old 09-17-2014, 03:56 PM
forteenglide
Stage IV
Smile 2014 SGS Fulsac DX pipe and Fulsac Recored Mufflers

Thanks to everyone on this forum that has discussed exhaust systems. Like most of you I have tirelessly scoured for information in order to make a good decision about exhaust / mufflers / tuning / air cleaners / Stage one.

I have recently installed the Fulsac DX header, 2" recored mufflers (which BTW Fulsac did the re-core job and welded the new cores into the Stock cans, absolutely immaculate job, no cutting off the slight slash or add on tips, no heat blueing from the welds, looks like they came from the HD Factory this way). I used Steve's fuel map and the tts tuner. Worked brilliantly and for a person that is NOT a WRENCH by any imagination, this project was seamless and about as simple as one could hope for.

From the first call to the folks at Fulsac through the couple of questions I had after installation, it was truly an awesome customer service experience, and even better performance and exhaust note experience.

The Ceramic coated head pipe makes a huge difference for my wife when we are riding 2 up,I think a combination of the Ceramic coating and the obvious elimination of the CAT. An since we live in Central Florida..well you get the picture.

I would have to say there are some real highlights to this but in short the massive cost savings of the Fullsac DX, Cored Mufflers, TTS tuner with fuel map and the Screaming Eagle Elite Aircleaner kit (On Sale at Ocala HD now) was an easy $1500.00 in total for the whole system installed. Which BTW several dealers tried to sell me a similar system and installation for $3K.

The Fulsac system sounds great, the bike pulls like a freight train and overall I can only Thank Steve and Cammie for their help with my 14 SGS.

Quick Reply: Install after market exhaust or not?