Sponsored by:

FP3 tweaking the tunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:36 PM
blankline9
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default FP3 tweaking the tunes

Did some searching and haven't found much. I'm curious if someone can explain the advanced tuning capabilities of the FP3 to me. Specifically, the VE tables, Accel Enrichment, Decel Enleanment, etc.

I'm currently running auto tune to try and tweak out the canned map from V&H because i'm not running any V&H exhaust components. The bike runs good but i'm trying to make sure that it is running at its best. I'm trying to gather a better understanding of what the manipulation of the aforementioned will do and how to make the changes, if necessary, to help the bike run better. I'm obviously hesitant to start trying to mess with things that I have no clue what values to enter for them.

Lots of threads on the FP3 but none that I could find on the advanced specifics.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM
blankline9
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Apparently I'm the only person on this forum who isn't a master with the fp3 and fine tuning. Or everyone else just uses auto tune and is satisfied with that. Any one, any one, bueller?

Old 12-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When you run Auto Tune you are fine tunning the VE tables. The VE tables are the Volumemetric Effecency or the air in the jugs. The rest are manually adjustable but I wouldn't change anything until you are finished Auto Tuning. The only way to check how well it's tuned would to be on a dyno with an external sniffer to veryify the Air/Fuel ratio.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:45 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The Cranking fuel table usually benefits from being reduced 2 from top to bottom. Starts easier. The decel enleanment can be decreased by 0.2 if you have decel pop. If no decel pop increase it 0.2 until you get decel pop. Will get little better mileage if increased. The Accelerator Enrichment usually doesn't need any thing on stock exhaust and bike. If need can increase it by 0.1 from top to bottom. With a 2 in 1 you usually benefit from a richer mixture by 2 to 5 VE points then autotune. I have looked at the FP3 app on phone and maps look pretty good to start with. One thing to remember is if the change doesn't improve change it back. Try to only adjust one thing at a time, as you won't know for sure what did what. Don't be surprised if you can't tell a difference in VE table changes unless you go over 5% either way.

The following users liked this post:
wjcbsr (04-12-2021)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 AM
End Loser
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The newest version has a decel pop setting, light, medium, and heavy.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:07 AM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I would suggest giving V&H a call and follow their recommendations. After all, they do that stuff for a living.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:00 PM
End Loser
Tourer

Originally Posted by End Loser
The newest version has a decel pop setting, light, medium, and heavy.
And it works.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:39 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Op, here are some screen shots of before and after, when you auto tune the VE tables automatically adjust. Yes you can manually make adjustments if you know what you are doing.

I am not sure if mine are where they need to be, or if they could be tweaked for better performance. I am curios how they compare to others. Just wanted to show you the tables do adjust in case you did not know.

Attached Thumbnails FP3 tweaking the tunes-t.png   FP3 tweaking the tunes-t1.png   FP3 tweaking the tunes-t3.png   FP3 tweaking the tunes-t4.png  

Last edited by TcHunter; 02-06-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 PM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you change air fuel ratio at different throttle openings to richen it or lean it down in auto tune like the PC 5 with auto tune.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 PM
End Loser
Tourer

I think it's a little bit different than the PCV. With the FP3, you let auto tune do its thing then flash the ECM. If there are adjustments to be made, you do those and then flash again. Don't think there are any real-time adjustments but you can view what's going on in real time.

If I am understanding your question, you are saying the PCV can make real time adjustments before flash? If so, that may be one advantage over the FP3. I believe the FP3 was first to market with phone app connectivity, so I went with that 2 years ago with the Dyna. I see now though, that Powercommander has a mobile app for its product. It will be interesting to see how the two compare in the next couple of years. I've been really happy with the FP3, but am always looking for improvement.

Quick Reply: FP3 tweaking the tunes