Sponsored by:

CB woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB woes

Last year when I was on the RFTW, I had a couple of days that my CB didn't seem to be working. I am in the Chaplain Corps so it is pretty important that I have a functional CB for communication to the leadership group and road guards.

Since RFTW I have had 2 knee surgeries and a lot of recoup time with little riding time. I am now getting ready for RFTW 2016 and I find my CB is not working at all. In addition, when I turn my intercom on, the only volume control I have is the intercom as if it is locked in the transmit mode. When I turn the intercom off I can once again adjust the volume to whatever device I want. I turned the voice activation all the way down on the intercom to make sure it was not activated. I also checked all the connections to the CB module and that power was present. It all checked good. I even went to the extent of putting a SWR/Power meter on the transmitter output on the CB and the needle doesn't even move when I push the transmit button no matter which setting I put the meter on. Was it not for the CAN bus thing I would just replace the CB module. I have read the intercom is included in the CB module but I am not sure that is correct. What ideas do you guys have? This is on a 2014 Ultra Limited.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:24 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Pastor Ron - welcome and glad to hear you are up and riding again.

Please help me understand your situation a bit more by telling us which bike and which radio you have. I have a 2014 Ultra Limited with the 6.5 and might be able to provide some assistance with that model radio.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:36 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

The op stated that he has a 14 Limited so it has to be the 6.5. I feel for you Ron I am a Road Captain for my HOG Chapter and have had problems with my CB I can transmit but when someone responds I get a poping sound the the headset I thought it might be my headset but I get music and talk through theintercom so it can't be that plus I have tried different helmets. I took my bike into the dealer and they said they have it fixed but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If your bike is still under warranty the CB is covered so take it in and have it looked at. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Does the CB icon light up when you try to transmit using the PTT switch? Just wondering if the PTT switch could be bad. Check the rear PTT switch also.
Try plugging the headset in the rear com port. Also try another headset. Does the CB receive? Check the Squelch setting.
When you have the intercom on is the INT icon lit up? I think it should only light up when the intercom is in use due to voice activation (VOX) or a PTT switch being pressed.
IIRC the Ultra Classic has an intercom but does not have a CB so that should rule out that the intercom is part of the CB module.

I know I didn't provide any answers for the problem but it's things I would check. With more info maybe someone will find the cure. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Make sure the intercom is off then try the CB. I think you might have VOX turned the wrong way and it's too sensitive and has your intercom active all the time.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

It is a 14 limited. I have tried every combination mentioned and the CB neither receives or transmits. I even put a SWR/power meter between the transmitter and antenna and it gives no SWR reading or power output when the PTT button is pushed however the transmit light does come on. The intercom stays in the transmit mode no matter where I set the VOX regardless where the headset is plugged in or even at all. My warranty is good until April 1st. I will be at the dealership within the next week. I will also buy the extended warranty since I spend so much time out of state. Thanks all for your help.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 512 Likes on 444 Posts

Please post what the problem and fix is.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Pastor Ron
Advanced

will do.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:13 PM
Fishnqueen214
Intermediate

I'd have it checked at the dealership. There is a known issue with the Push to talk switch. I have a 2014 Limited and had a problem with the CB also. It was a problem with the switch. The whole switch pack had to be changed out. I know someone else who had the same issue and his switch had to be changed out also - it also was a 2014 Limited.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:43 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Pastor Ron - my bike is in storage -so, I am going from memory.

Just for kicks, please plug your headset in, key the CB and at the same time, increase the vol on the left toggle switch

Also, have someone talk to you on the CB - and while the message is coming in, increase the vol to you cna hear them.

Sometimes it is difficult to work with others to get the CB to work, so, I invested in a hand held CB that cost about $59 (Uniden Pro401HH). This way, I could talk to myself and also see if I was getting out.

What I found was - the nut in the tour pack was very lose -so, I was not getting a good contact.

Quick Reply: CB woes