Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boom map update or cheap garmin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:13 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,728 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Well, I am one of those guys that like and enjoy the Boom - it seems to work for me. Probably because I also like mu in-car GPS. My in-car can communicate with my phone in that I can input an address in the phone and send it to my car map. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to do that with my Boom.

I also wish (have heard this is possible) that I could go to my phone contacts and send the address to my Boom.

Finally - TriGeezer - you mentored that you have not been able to update your Zumo maps since 2012 - which Zumo do you have. Perhaps I can help.

The following users liked this post:
indyharleyguy (05-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:32 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just stick with the Boom. I have a 2016 and have traveled out west without any issues. The Boom system works great. I used to have a Zumo and I like the Boom much better. The roadways don't change much, especially the back roads. I don't see updating my maps anytime soon.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
Now...There some people I know that still use the GPS built into their cars and sit there typing in addresses one letter at a time for 2 minutes when they could just talk into their phone and run Google Maps. Maybe these are the same people that love Boom. I don't know. Maybe it is a generational thing.
Maybe so. I'm almost never in such a hurry that taking two minutes to type in an address bothers me. I'm from the "paper map" and "pay phone" generation. I'm old enough to have owned an 8-track tape player (though most of growing up was cassettes). So no, two ENTIRE minutes "typing in" doesn't bother me.

HOWEVER, if it DOES bother someone, add a microphone to the mix and talk to the Boom! system. Or buy another device to hang on your handlebars. Or use your cell phone as a GPS. It matters not to me. I like the Boom GPS, so much so I paid good money to update the maps. It's still way better than the GPS in my '08 Cadi, and it's always there.

YMMV.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Du2tri
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that use Tyre (or something similar)...some questions for you.
* When you export the route do you then import into HD RidePlanner?
* Or do you just rename the GPX so that you can load it directly into Boom Navi?

Is it me or did HD take away the import functionality within HD RidePlanner? the only option I have is Export

Last edited by Du2tri; 09-12-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Du2tri
For those of you that use Tyre (or something similar)...some questions for you.
* When you export the route do you then import into HD RidePlanner?
* Or do you just rename the GPX so that you can load it directly into Boom Navi?

Is it me or did HD take away the import functionality within HD RidePlanner? the only option I have is Export
I use Tyre. A lot.

I create a route using Tyre, then save it as xyz.GPX to a flash drive. Then I connect the flash drive to the boom USB cable and import.

I dont 'rename' anything. And I dont use Ride Planner.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Du2tri
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you DH_Meyer.

That makes it a lot easier than what I thought. I was under the impression if you created a route in another tool you still needed to import it in HD RidePlanner and then export it to be loaded into Boom Navi.

I will have to give that a shot. thank you!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

You can't import into Ride Planner -that feature is not there.

Also - I suggest your try Honda Ride Planner - this make planning the trips really easy. Plus, you can import and export.

This also loads (exports) to the Boom system by way of flash drive.

The following users liked this post:
Du2tri (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I use Tyre. A lot.

I create a route using Tyre, then save it as xyz.GPX to a flash drive. Then I connect the flash drive to the boom USB cable and import.

I dont 'rename' anything. And I dont use Ride Planner.
How different is the Boom routing versus the Tyre routing after you import it or are you putting a waypoint(s) on every road you want to ride on to "lock it in" for lack of a better word. Boom really does not give you a way to preview the exact route which is why I am asking.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Boom does give you a way of previewing the route. Simply import the route and then - where to, more, trips and go.

Once the route loads, you can click on the bottom where it shows the next street and continue to show all of the maneuvers.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:00 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,713 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Boom does give you a way of previewing the route. Simply import the route and then - where to, more, trips and go.

Once the route loads, you can click on the bottom where it shows the next street and continue to show all of the maneuvers.
They should put that kind of stuff in like a book or manual or something...

Quick Reply: boom map update or cheap garmin?