Sponsored by:

New to touring bikes - 3 hole oil change due

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM
astolt12
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default New to touring bikes - 3 hole oil change due

As the title says I’m new to touring bikes, have ridden Sportster my entire life and now that I have started taking more trips I decided to upgrade.

Picked up a used 2015 SGS a few weeks ago with about 4500 miles on it. She’s at about 5,200 now. Enjoying every bit! I planned on doing the full 3 hole fluid change as part of her 5,000 mile service. However in these ~700 miles I have noticed one thing I would like to try to address it with this fluid change. Hopefully y’all can help me answer these questions

- 1st gear whine. From what I can tell it’s due to the cut of the gears in 1st and 5th. I’ve read that Redline Shockproof will quiet her down. Is there any compatibility issue if I drain and use this if some old Harley fluid is still left in there?

- Never owned a bike before with a hydraulic clutch - is there anything special I have to do with the reservoir up top when changing the fluid from assumably Harley Davidson to a newer on? I don’t think the two systems are necessarily fluid sharing but I want to be sure.

- Engine oil - I assume it is the Harley Dino oil. I plan to go amsoil v twin full syn or possibly Mobil one. Has anyone ran this and what are your thoughts? Will be using a Harley oil filter

My big concern is using specific fluid for the different holes. While Harley calls out that syn 3 is good for everyone I have to think that a specific fluid is actually better than a one stop shop. Heard a lot about redline but never used it.

Anything helps! Thanks!

Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,728 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Syn 3, in my opinion is good - but don't use it in all 3 holes. The transmission should get the Harley Formula. In fact, they just came out with a new formula Vis is 160 - so, it is like a syn oil.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:16 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Redline shockproof should help to quiet your tranny a bit has for the rest use what you can afford oils are about the same in quality i have been using the Syn 3 oil in all three holes but this time around i am going to look some different and a little bit cheaper. Don't get me wrong HD makes good stuff but your going to pay for it.

Bob the Oil Guy

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

The following users liked this post:
astolt12 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:20 AM
piper59
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 625 Posts

Engine Oil'Amsoil 20w50....trannny 'Amsoil Severe Gear'.....Primary-HD Formula +.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

No, say it ain't so!

GalvTexGuy (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:58 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

- 1st gear whine. From what I can tell it’s due to the cut of the gears in 1st and 5th. I’ve read that Redline Shockproof will quiet her down. Is there any compatibility issue if I drain and use this if some old Harley fluid is still left in there?
Use Shockproof. It has a host of happy users on HDF, one of em being me. Its great stuff and quiets things down as you suspect. There are NO compatibility issues with any of the oils in common use, even a dino / synthetic mix is ok. Truth be known, many oils marketed as synthetic are mixes anyway.

- Never owned a bike before with a hydraulic clutch - is there anything special I have to do with the reservoir up top when changing the fluid from assumably Harley Davidson to a newer on? I don’t think the two systems are necessarily fluid sharing but I want to be sure.
Dunno.

- Engine oil - I assume it is the Harley Dino oil. I plan to go amsoil v twin full syn or possibly Mobil one. Has anyone ran this and what are your thoughts? Will be using a Harley oil filter
Its all good oil. If you are going to "pay" for a "full" synthetic you'll want to be sure that is what you're getting. Amsoil is and so is RedLine. These are by no means the only brands. Synthetics use either Esters or PAO as a base oil, (70% of can contents or so). Companies which do this usually brag the fact, (on the can), because these are expensive and justify the prices they charge for their products. Beware so called "Synthetics" whose formulation is so goddamn special that the actual contents cannot be divulged under pain of death, (syn 3 ). They're probably using hydrocracked dino oil as a base. There is nothing wrong with these latter oils except that you should be paying less for them than for a full synthetic oil, which they aren't. Last, use MC specific oil or one rated for diesel engines. These tend still to be very high in ZDDP content, (good for your engine), whereas automotive oils of the same brand have little ZDDP content, generally speaking, owing to EPA constraints within the greater industry.

Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by HKMark23:
astolt12 (04-29-2019), hbsoldier3 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by astolt12
As the title says I’m new to touring bikes, have ridden Sportster my entire life and now that I have started taking more trips I decided to upgrade.

Picked up a used 2015 SGS a few weeks ago with about 4500 miles on it. She’s at about 5,200 now. Enjoying every bit! I planned on doing the full 3 hole fluid change as part of her 5,000 mile service. However in these ~700 miles I have noticed one thing I would like to try to address it with this fluid change. Hopefully y’all can help me answer these questions

My big concern is using specific fluid for the different holes. While Harley calls out that syn 3 is good for everyone I have to think that a specific fluid is actually better than a one stop shop. Heard a lot about redline but never used it.

Anything helps! Thanks!
I just got a 2015 Ultra Limited and was curious about the gear whine as well. Also have the same question on the hydraulic clutch. Is there anything special that needs to be done?

Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

For the hydraulic clutch? Like what? It uses the same brake fluid that the brakes use. Not much to do there other then change the fluid when you think it needs it. As for gear whine, try different lubes in your primary and transmission.

I've been using Red Line in all three holes since my first service. Engine, primary and transmission are still doing their respective jobs.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Anything helps! Thanks!
Run Amsoil in all three holes and change it every 10k.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Anything helps! Thanks!
That first gear whine is normal so don't worry.
Use a good SYN for the engine.
Use a Harley Formula for the Primary.
Use Redline or Belray for the tranny.
Ask Service Dept about brake fluid Clutch.

astolt12 (04-29-2019)

Quick Reply: New to touring bikes - 3 hole oil change due