Sponsored by:

Electra Glo LED DTC b2156 Code Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBill94
How did you connect the white power wire for the Native Customs LED frame to the bike and where did you route it?

Everything else so far so good.
I did not use the Native Custom's LED frame...I bought one of those "tag" LED lights...

With regard to the wire routing and connection, I recommend running the wires along the left side saddle bag frame, up to the area under the seat...with regard to connectivity, there are hundreds of ways to tap into the run & brake light using several options like posi connectors & you can find them at Amazon or other online stores. With regard to what wire connects to where, I couldn't tell you, do not have factory service manual with me...

Old 08-13-2014, 11:29 AM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
There is another thread on this issue started. Mine does the same. Installed the CD Ringz turns in the front and their suggested four way flash procedure worked fine to get the dash normal but when I removed the tourpak and installed the Harley saddlebag lights, the fast dash flash returned and the four way flash fix no longer fixes it. Called CD, they said Harley failed to account for the added resistance needed on their design
Thanks--I did tried to reflash with the tour pack connected and no dice...still does the same fast blinking on the dash indicator...

I think at this point, the bike may need the Digital Tech II tool to update the BCM to resolve this issue, if there is such a fix, otherwise, the fix could be to plug a load resistor/equalizer on the tour pack LED light connector to fool the BCM that the original set of LED lights are online and connected...

Old 08-13-2014, 03:42 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 505 Likes on 248 Posts

If you are talking about a load equalizer like that used on earlier models, Custom Dynamics told me that would be useless on the 2014 with CANbus Since they sell the load equalizers, I have to believe that's true or I would have bought one.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:29 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Same Problem

Gunny,

So what's the answer??? Why should we have to rely on CD to provide a solution for an OEM HD part? I wonder if HD is working on this small, but annoying issue. Has anyone on a Rushmore with detach kit heard anything more??

Lobo

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
If you are talking about a load equalizer like that used on earlier models, Custom Dynamics told me that would be useless on the 2014 with CANbus Since they sell the load equalizers, I have to believe that's true or I would have bought one.
It may be CANBUS, but that thing still outputs the same DC voltage & current and all it would take is the correct resistor to load the circuit that draws the same DC current as tour pack LED lights & I bet, that will do the trick...

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 505 Likes on 248 Posts

Harley dropped the ball on this one in my opinion. They may have produced the saddlebag lights initially to add to the system with the tourpak or on St Glides etc. I suspect they never actually tested this part on a Limited having the tourpak removed. It was probably an afterthought to make a kit to remove the tourpak and these lights filled their bill for that. CANbus has it definite pros by eliminating a lot of wiring but it also has it's issues. Harley needs to make this right.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:10 PM
FlyingBear
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. I just installed the tour-pak detachable kit today on my '14 Ultra Limited. I have no problem with the turn signals: they all flash at the right speed, and so do the dash green arrows. As you know (as you've installed the kit, too), the saddlebag lights are controlled by a module that you install under the seat. You'd expect that module to handle all the different load conditions correctly. Maybe HD updated the module recently? I just bought my kit last weekend.

By the way, I haven't put my tour-pak back on again yet, but the HD site strongly suggests that the tour-pak AND the saddlebag lights will work together in that case, which is nice.

For those having problems (and I certainly don't mean to offend), did you connect the saddlebag lights by separating the existing connectors at the front of the fender, per the instructions, and plugging into them, or use some other method?

Last edited by FlyingBear; 08-17-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
BigBill94
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Hmmm. I just installed the tour-pak detachable kit today on my '14 Ultra Limited. I have no problem with the turn signals: they all flash at the right speed, and so do the dash green arrows. As you know (as you've installed the kit, too), the saddlebag lights are controlled by a module that you install under the seat. You'd expect that module to handle all the different load conditions correctly. Maybe HD updated the module recently? I just bought my kit last weekend.

By the way, I haven't put my tour-pak back on again yet, but the HD site strongly suggests that the tour-pak AND the saddlebag lights will work together in that case, which is nice.

For those having problems (and I certainly don't mean to offend), did you connect the saddlebag lights by separating the existing connectors at the front of the fender, per the instructions, and plugging into them, or use some other method?

With the tour pak on the bike, all of the lights operate. The Electra-Glow turn signals/bag lights are surprisingly bright. The back of the thing looks like a semi-truck at night.