Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED lighting for my Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts
Default LED lighting for my Electra Glide

I got LED lighting for my Electra Glide. I went with Custom Dynamics. I got the Tour Pak LED lights. These are a great improvement. Much brighter than the OEM bulbs.

Left is LED. Right is OEM bulb.

Then I also got the LED lights for the front fender lip. That little OEM bulb is so dim it’s no more than trim that lights up. The Custom Dynamics LED makes that fender lip so bright it really improves my visibility.

Thirdly I got the Magic Tour Pak Converter. They advertise this is “Simple Plug and Play Conversion to Convert ALL of Your Tour Pak® Lights to Run - Brake - Turn”. I called up Custom Dynamics support to verify that these 3 products would work together. The gal I talked to didn’t know how I had lights on the Tour Pak of my Electra Glide Classic. The Custom Dynamics Tour Pak LED Lights do not have a housing they must be installed into the Harley Light housing. I told her I bought the lights from Harley Davidson. Even the Classic has the connectors for the Tour Pak lights. My Tour Pak is now just like the Tour Pak on an Ultra. She said if I have the connectors it should work.
It didn’t work. When I called them they said I also had to buy the Triple Play unit for an additional $90. I already paid $50 for the Magic Tour Pak Converter. That would be a total of $140 just to get my Tour Pak lights to flash as turn signals. They told me I couldn’t return the Magic Tour Pak Converter. I had to argue that a rep at Custom Dynamics told me these would work together but I couldn’t remember her name. This was a bigger hassle than it should have been but they did eventually let me return it.
Then I went to Harley Davidson and got the HD Tour Pak Turn Signal Converter for $75. This did what the Tipple Play AND Magic Tour Pak Converter from Custom Dynamics would do for $140. Granted if I did spend that much for Custom Dynamics the rear lights would do lots of patterns and flash whenever I put on the brakes. I don’t need those bells and whistles.

Check out the YouTube video to see what it does.
Most of this video is the installation. To view how bright it is skip to 11:45

So now I have much better visibility on my Electra Glide.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 05-19-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Default Turn Signals

Now what to do with my turn signals (if anything). They are all OEM light bulbs. I don’t think that’s really a problem from the rear because my Tour Pak lights are now also very bright turn signals. I now have 4 turn signals in the rear. But I would like LED turn signals up front if I don’t have to spend too much.

I always use my turn signals. On a related side note, how does the HD self-cancelling turn signals decide when to turn off? When I had a ’84 Yamaha FJ1100 the turn signals would turn off after a certain amount of time OR after going a certain distance whichever is further.
My ’09 Electra Glide often turns off the turn signals too early. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it turns off really soon. This often happens in the same locations. For example there’s a place that I turn left and then make an immediate right turn. I turn on my right turn signal just as I’m finishing my left turn. The turn signal stays on only for about 3 flashes. I can't imagine how the cycle would think it knows when I have turned. I Think this is a problem just for the model year 2009 (and maybe a couple other years). I’ve looked into this before and I think this issue is fixed on newer Harleys. It’s annoying because I always use my turn signals and then I always have to verify that my turn signals are still on.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:01 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the CD Dynamic Ringz up front and their LED in back. I get comments all the time about how noticeable the front LED's are.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:02 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Is the fender tip light yellow or white?

Old 05-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Default Head Lights

I also want super bright head lights. At first I looked into the options at HD. They want over $500 for Daymaker LED headlights. I’m left thinking I don’t need LED headlights that much. I also like the old school looks of my non LED headlights. So I'm thinking of getting PathfinderLED H4 Tri-LED Bulb for $45

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/207-526
This is very bright at 2000 lumens.

Or I can get the 3000 lumen model for $90. http://www.jpcycles.com/product/752-839

Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 PM
s76helipilot
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fender tip is white with smoked lens. The headlight is a JW SPeaker 8700 Evolution 2. You can get them for under 300 on Amazon.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by just plain john
Is the fender tip light yellow or white?
I got amber but they also sell white with a tinted lens. I reused my amber lens.

The following users liked this post:
just plain john (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

Originally Posted by s76helipilot
Go with the CD Dynamic Ringz up front and their LED in back. I get comments all the time about how noticeable the front LED's are.
Nice but I'm hoping to save a few dollars. Thinking of getting the 2000 or 3000 lumen bulb and not the whole headlight housing.

Hey, does anyone know how many lumens the OEM bulb is? Everyone claims how bright their headlights are but lumens are the real way to measure brightness. Even then you need to compare them to what you already have (OEM).