Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   2018+ Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models-206/)
-   -   2018 Sport Glides (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2018-softail-models/1215437-2018-sport-glides.html)

Daedalus1066 05-19-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever (Post 18268281)
Seems like a nice rig...got any pics?
BTW...I am also using the mustache-style engine guards.

None right now, I will try to get some soon.

THE_ELECTRICIAN 05-23-2019 02:20 PM

I have the 2019 SOFTAIL MODELS SERVICE MANUAL and cannot find any reference to "critical fasteners". Granted, every fastener on a motorcycle is critical. I just had the 1000 mile service done on my SG and on the bill from the dealership the mechanic wrote "Tightened critical fasteners". Anybody have a list or is this question best left to common sense and deductive reasoning?

107" Vibrator 05-23-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by THE_ELECTRICIAN (Post 18277126)
I have the 2019 SOFTAIL MODELS SERVICE MANUAL and cannot find any reference to "critical fasteners". Granted, every fastener on a motorcycle is critical. I just had the 1000 mile service done on my SG and on the bill from the dealership the mechanic wrote "Tightened critical fasteners". Anybody have a list or is this question best left to common sense and deductive reasoning?

I noticed one of the primary bolts had backed out approx 1/4" on my 2019 FLSB just a couple days after I rode it home. The dealership took care of it during the 1k (which was done 12 days after picking up the bike), but I imagine that's the kind of "critical fastener" they may be referring to. Enjoy the new ride, I love mine!

HuntWhenever 05-23-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by SportGlide19 (Post 18277158)
... took care of it during the 1k (which was done 12 days after picking up the bike)...

LOL...I usually make my 1k service appointment when I first pick up a bike from the dealer. Some dealers get it, others are like "OMG!"

HuntWhenever 05-23-2019 11:02 PM

I'll be looking for a new back tire here in another month or so (currently have 6k miles on the bike). I'm curious to see what others have tried on their Sport Glide. There's an older thread on this, but I figured I would post here as the other thread is still in the pre-2018 forum ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ort-glide.html )

My impression of the Scorchers hasn't been too great. They follow grooves in the road worse than any other tire I've had (unless that's just a cruiser trait as this is my first cruiser) and they are not very inspiring in the rain.
I hear good things about the Michelin Commander II's, but they only make a 180/65 rear tire (not the 180/70).
I am researching the BattleCruise H50's, ME888's, and Dunlop Elite 4's. I figured Night Dragons probably won't give me the mileage I'm hoping for.
I want a tire that gets decent traction in rain, but won't get toasted on my commute on the interstate. I'd like to get at least 10k out of a back tire, but not have a tire compound so hard that is sucks in the turns,

Whatcha all runnin'?

Belloc42 05-24-2019 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever (Post 18278219)
I'll be looking for a new back tire here in another month or so (currently have 6k miles on the bike). I'm curious to see what others have tried on their Sport Glide. There's an older thread on this, but I figured I would post here as the other thread is still in the pre-2018 forum ( https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ort-glide.html )

My impression of the Scorchers hasn't been too great. They follow grooves in the road worse than any other tire I've had (unless that's just a cruiser trait as this is my first cruiser) and they are not very inspiring in the rain.
I hear good things about the Michelin Commander II's, but they only make a 180/65 rear tire (not the 180/70).
I am researching the BattleCruise H50's, ME888's, and Dunlop Elite 4's. I figured Night Dragons probably won't give me the mileage I'm hoping for.
I want a tire that gets decent traction in rain, but won't get toasted on my commute on the interstate. I'd like to get at least 10k out of a back tire, but not have a tire compound so hard that is sucks in the turns,

Whatcha all runnin'?

I actually really like the Scorchers, though I have no point of comparison – also my first cruiser (coming from sport standards). Haven’t noticed any weird handling anywhere. Just replaced the set with the same on a dealer sale at just under 15K miles. I commute about 60 miles a day round-trip in heavy traffic, noodle around town on weekends with my wife, and hop on the interstate for an hour or so every now and then. I thought stop and go would be hard on them, but it sounds like you’re really burning them up on the flattop (maybe more loaded up?). Anyway, curious to see if you find something you like better.

HuntWhenever 05-24-2019 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Belloc42 (Post 18278963)
I actually really like the Scorchers, though I have no point of comparison – also my first cruiser (coming from sport standards). Haven’t noticed any weird handling anywhere. Just replaced the set with the same on a dealer sale at just under 15K miles. I commute about 60 miles a day round-trip in heavy traffic, noodle around town on weekends with my wife, and hop on the interstate for an hour or so every now and then. I thought stop and go would be hard on them, but it sounds like you’re really burning them up on the flattop (maybe more loaded up?). Anyway, curious to see if you find something you like better.

Yea...lots of interstate miles tend to flat-spot the middle of the back tire. There is still plenty of life left on the sides.

I don't completely unlike the Scorchers. I've pushed them pretty hard on dry pavement in the twisties and they aren't too bad. But if there is a groove or edge trap that runs down the road, these tires seem to lock into them and track them like a guided missile. I assume it is because the front tire has a groove down the center, but I don't know for sure. I kept Michelin Pilot Roads on all my previous adventure touring bikes. I got decent mileage from them (usually around 8k miles on a back tire) and they were beyond excellent in the rain.

I think the Commander II's would be nice, but I'm not sure about changing aspect ratio on the rear from 70% to 65%...for both handling reasons and ABS system concerns. Has anyone else ran different aspect ratios from OEM spec on a rear tire? Any issues?

Daedalus1066 05-24-2019 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever (Post 18278993)
Yea...lots of interstate miles tend to flat-spot the middle of the back tire. There is still plenty of life left on the sides.

I don't completely unlike the Scorchers. I've pushed them pretty hard on dry pavement in the twisties and they aren't too bad. But if there is a groove or edge trap that runs down the road, these tires seem to lock into them and track them like a guided missile. I assume it is because the front tire has a groove down the center, but I don't know for sure. I kept Michelin Pilot Roads on all my previous adventure touring bikes. I got decent mileage from them (usually around 8k miles on a back tire) and they were beyond excellent in the rain.

I think the Commander II's would be nice, but I'm not sure about changing aspect ratio on the rear from 70% to 65%...for both handling reasons and ABS system concerns. Has anyone else ran different aspect ratios from OEM spec on a rear tire? Any issues?

I am in the same boat, I have about 8700 miles on the bike and about 7700 miles on the rear tire (on the way yo my 1k service rode over a screw) I also agree with the assessment about getting sucked into a groove.

Frank96 05-26-2019 04:22 PM

I just replaced my rear tire with an Avon Cobra Chrome. Haven't put any miles on it yet though. The Cobra is a 180/65-16, but the guy at the shop said this is due to the profile of the tire. The tread wraps a little further down the sides, making the sidewalls a little shorter, but the overall diameter is about the same. Got about 8200 miles out of the original rear tire before it failed inspection for tread depth, front tire still has plenty of life.

HuntWhenever 05-27-2019 12:50 AM

Gave the Sport Glide a well deserved bath today. I noticed a lot of chips in the paint on the lower-right fork near the hub. Anyone else get this on theirs?
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...548bb0ec66.jpg